Video Screencast Help

Job status recovered. Errors being generated in event logs

Created: 05 Mar 2013 • Updated: 06 Mar 2013 | 3 comments

Hello 

We currently run BE2010 R3 - fully updated, on a Windows Server 2003 which is acting as a DFS server and primary data server. 

The setup is the same for all three of our offices. 

For the past 2 weeks BackExec has not been "behaving itself" and working as it should, quietly working away processing 2 differential jobs a day with a backup to disk job. 

The 2 jobs are data and Enterprise vault/Exchange  and the backup to disk is the sharepoint database. this backup to disk then backs up to the data job.

at the end of the week we do a Full data backup and a full EV/Exchange job.

After running for 2 weeks back exec started generating errors on all the jobs that we run.

Jobs were reporting the status as "missed" but then another job entry in the job monitor showed as "recovered" and appears to have completed the backup job. This is the case for the EV/Exchange job and the Sharepoint B2D but the data job failed outright as it is reporting as having missed its timeslot during which as far as I can tell nothing else was running.

There are several event log entries in Windows event logs relating to backup exec services failing

"Event Type: Error

Event Source: BEDBG
Event Category: (1)
Event ID: 258
Date: 04/03/2013
Time: 19:37:06
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
Process bengine.exe requested memory dump but the maximum number of memory dumps has already been reached."
 
 
"Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: (100)
Event ID: 1000
Date: 04/03/2013
Time: 19:37:09
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
Faulting application bengine.exe, version 13.0.5204.128, faulting module msvcr80.dll, version 8.0.50727.6195, fault address 0x000149d1.
 
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 62 65 6e   ure  ben
0018: 67 69 6e 65 2e 65 78 65   gine.exe
0020: 20 31 33 2e 30 2e 35 32    13.0.52
0028: 30 34 2e 31 32 38 20 69   04.128 i
0030: 6e 20 6d 73 76 63 72 38   n msvcr8
0038: 30 2e 64 6c 6c 20 38 2e   0.dll 8.
0040: 30 2e 35 30 37 32 37 2e   0.50727.
0048: 36 31 39 35 20 61 74 20   6195 at 
0050: 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 30   offset 0
0058: 30 30 31 34 39 64 31      00149d1 "
 
 
This is not the first time we have seen this behaviour with Backup Exec with these same jobs.
Nothing else has changed and all hardware is functioning as it should.
Last time this happened it was resolved with several server restarts and updating Backup Exec. But this is no longer an option as Live update says there are no further updates required. and the server restarts have to be done out of hours as its the main data server. The reason why we attached the tape drive to it and use it as our BE media server as well is that the backups are processed quicker. 
 
any help or advice would be welcome.
updating to BE 2012 is not an option as this inexplicably fails every time I have tried to perform the migration.
 
 
Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Larry Fine's picture

To fix the "Process bengine.exe requested memory dump but the maximum number of memory dumps has already been reached." error, you need to delete some of the old dmp files from the BEDBG folder or by running "bedbg --max 20"  (or whatever number you like).

I cannot explain why bengine is failing, but I assume that if you open a tech support case, they will want fresh DMP files.

If you find this is a solution for the thread, please mark it as such.

VJware's picture

Are you backing up any DFSR data & VMs as well ? Would you pls list what updates are installed on Backup Exec...lasltly, as suggested as above, remove the older dmps from the BEDBG folder...once a new dmp is generated, please post it there else PM me.

BSDS's picture

Ok I Have cleared the BEDBG folder as suggested. - Thanks for that.

Yes, the data job is backing up DFSR data, but its backing it up from the local drive of the server rather than the DFS name space. This particular job is not backing up any VM's as we have a seperate job for Hyper-V that runs once a month for this.

after making my initial post, I restarted the services, and the tape device and last night the EV/exchange job completed correctly but the data job still failed. arranged for a server reboot out of hours early this morning.

Currently installed updates for this server are :

Service pack 2

Hotfix 180429, 176967, 191248, 194471 and 195395