Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Just switched from Sophos to SBE 12.1.3

Posted Jun 21, 2013 01:55 PM

I have a client that I just switched yesterday to 12.1.3 from Sophos 10.0.  The enviroment has a Windows 2008 Stanard server with 8gb running Sage Mas90 4.3. Some PCs are XP and some are Windows 7.  I excluded the drive mapping that has the drive mapping to the shared directory and the Mas90 executable. I am looking for advise on what I can do to speed this up.

Previously there was no antivirus client or virus managment on the server.  Now there is.  Should I remove the antivirus client from the server?

In Sophos I only had the on demand scanning set to read and another else.  Should I change to just doing that?

Any sugesstions would be appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Just switched from Sophos to SBE 12.1.3

Posted Jun 21, 2013 01:58 PM

I wouldn't recommend removing the SEP client as you will lack protection. What components of SEP do you have installed? I would suggest only utilising the AV component to begin with.

In the AV policy under Auto-Protect >> Scan Details >> Advanced Scanning and Monitoring you can set it to scan when a file is modified.

Obviously adding exlusions for the product are good, which it sounds like you already did.

Best practices to improve low performance.

Article:HOWTO55872  |  Created: 2011-07-08  |  Updated: 2012-04-17  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55872

• 3.  RE: Just switched from Sophos to SBE 12.1.3

Posted Jun 23, 2013 02:02 PM

Brian,

thanks for your help. The file you suggested is not the wording used in SEP SBE 12.1.3.  So some of the things do not exist. How do I set the client for AV scanning only?

• 4.  RE: Just switched from Sophos to SBE 12.1.3

Posted Jun 23, 2013 02:53 PM

What I did for now is set the clients to a High Performance policy in the Virus and Spyware section and take the SEP client off the server. Lets see if the performance is good like this.

• 5.  RE: Just switched from Sophos to SBE 12.1.3

Posted Jun 23, 2013 07:32 PM

That option must not exist in SBE but what you did should also work. Let us know how it goes.