File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Laptop won't boot after decrypting HDD (Upgrade from WDE 9.90 to 10.3.2)

Posted Apr 12, 2016 08:46 AM
      |   view attached

All,

I have a laptop that was on PGP WDE 9.90, both harddrives in the laptop are solid state drives. I decided I wanted to upgrade the laptop to 10.3.2MP12 after realizing that version had much better SSD drive performance (based off a second computer I have that is on PGP WDE 10.3.2MP12 with SSD drives. The laptop will currently not boot up, so before I do anything I wanted to get the community's advice on how to proceed before I risk making matters worst. Here are the steps I performed that got me into my current predicament:

1) PGP 9.90 was working fine with both SSDs encrypted

2) Ran decryption of both drives, process completed 100% successfully

3) Ran install file of 10.3.2MP12 to update to newest version, I did NOT reboot after the original decryption and I did NOT uninstall the original 9.90 version

4) In the middle of installing 10.3.2MP12, the computer encountered a blue screen and crashed

5) Upon turning laptop back on the laptop's HP bios screen shows, then it goes to a "Windows Boot Manager" (see screenshot) screen that says "Windows failed to start. A recent hardare or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart you computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and then client "Next." 3) Click "Repair your computer." If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance. Status: 0xc000000f Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Enter=Continue ESC=Exit

6) If I hit enter or ESC it just reboots and goes back to the same screen.

I know there are PGP WDE recovery tools on the website, but I didn't know exactly which one I should try (if any). Should I be trying the 10.3.2MP12 since that was the version I was in the process of upgrading to when I got the blue screen? Or should I be running the original 9.90 version? Since I was able to successfully decrypt the harddrives, I didn't know if I just needed to be running Windows Start up repair, but was afraid if I did that I might make even more issues or lost data entirely. 

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

PS - I do have a second computer available with PGP WDE version 10.3.2MP12 running on it. So I do have the option of plugging the SSDs from the laptop into the other computer to perform attempt to repair them there, but again, hoping to get some guidance before I do anything.

• 2.  RE: Laptop won't boot after decrypting HDD (Upgrade from WDE 9.90 to 10.3.2)

Posted Apr 12, 2016 01:05 PM

I would slave the drive to the second system, and see if you are prompted for a passphrase.  There may be pieces of the Bootguard that did not remove successfully, or it could have just damaged the boot sector when trying to replace it.  If it does not prompt you for a passphrase, and you can see all of the data normally when slaved, then you most likely will need to run a Windows repair (after retrieving the data, of course), which should resolve the issue.

If it does prompt you for a passphrase, then the decryption didn't finish despite the 100% finished status.  This is typically from the bootloader not removing.  You could try running a decrypt command against it again, which should try to remove it.

My guess would be scenario 1, given that you had a completed decryption message.

• 3.  RE: Laptop won't boot after decrypting HDD (Upgrade from WDE 9.90 to 10.3.2)

Posted Apr 20, 2016 09:23 AM

I put the drive into a USB external enclosure and hooked it up to my other computer. On the other computer windows is wanting to format the drive as its saying it isnt recognized. There are some other smaller misc partitions on the disk like the HP_TOOLS and SYSTEM that appear to be working, but the main parition its wanting to format. 

Should I go under disk management and mark the partition as active? I imagine that will still result in windows wanting to format the disk. If I go under the PGP WDE interface it only shows the HP_TOOLS and SYSTEM partiiton.

Before I do anything at all, right now I'm in the process of doing a bit to bit backup/clone of the drive to another harddrive that I have. Then Ill feel safer playing around with everything.

Do I need to use something from the Drive Encryption Diagnosis page: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH149679.html 

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.