Video Screencast Help

Lenovo ThinkVantage System Update and SEP 12.1 compatibility issue

Created: 29 Oct 2012 • Updated: 29 Oct 2012 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Every time I launch System Update in version 5.00.0019 (latest as of today) of Lenono ThinkVantage and then "Check for Updates" I get a memory address error which causes "ia.exe" (the Inventory Agent) to fail. If I uninstall SEP (12.1 RU1 MP1), it launches just fine. There is nothing in the logs that shows SEP interfering with the application so I believe it has to do with how SEP works rather than it not liking ThinkVantage.

Has anyone else ran into this issue and found a solution? Naturally we need SEP on our machines and updating drivers manually is a bit of a pain with Lenovo unless you can use their ThinkVantage tool.

Thanks in advance,

 

Chad

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

Only install the AV component and see what the result. We can start with this to see if we can narrow it down to a specific component.

Also, did you exclude the necessary directories for thinkvantage? Specifically try excluding the ia.exe file.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

SOLUTION
Chad_GCU's picture

Brian strikes again with another solution. I installed only the AV component (with none of the sub-components) and it worked. Exclusions were already made for all related processes, folders, and files related to the software. I'll add the AV subcomponents and report back if they return an error. Since we don't actually use the App and Device control, nor the Networking components, I can live w/o them being installed (it was just a convenience in case we did decide to start using them).

.Brian's picture

Glad it's working. If you have a chance to test, I would install NTP and see what happens. Than add PTP (w/o ADC) and see result. Than add ADC and see what that does. I'm sure Symantec would like to troubleshoot this as well.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Chad_GCU's picture

It's ADC (I suspected as much once you suggested to try a single component). Literally everything else in the feature set is installed except ADC (whose policy was and is disabled) and the system update still works.