Leveraging SSR to automate virtualization of a test environment?
We are running a mix of 400 physical & virutal servers in my production environment.
A need has recently been identified to allow certain department to test production servers (physical OR virtual).
my problem? Create a process that would automate the creation of production servers to a test environment.
Can I leverage SSR to do this?
- I stand up a VMware test enviroment,
- use existing jobs that backup production servers to v2i using SSR,
- create/automate a conversion job that converts SSR v2i backups to vmdk on the test enviroment EVA
- Attach vmdk to the vmware host,
- fire up the VM
- When test is over, Nuke the VM (not sure about this one)
- repeat every month as needed. (idealy, I only repeat turning on the VM as the jobs are set to run automatically)
Will this work? Am I doing this the hard way? Can anyone recommend a simpler way to do this? Are there symantec products I can purchase that would help me accomplish this more efficiently? Or am I not using SSR for what it was intended to be used as?
Other questions I have:
- Based on my understanding of SSR, I can't go directly to vmdk from the server agent (makes sense as SSR is a backup tool and not a conversion tool). I need to create the job that backs up to v2i, then run a job to convert to vmdk. Is this correct?
- Can the two jobs be automated so that the vmdk is always updated? If I take 1 full and 4 incremental jobs during the week, does the v2i to vmdk conversion update ONLY the changes since the last conversion? Or will it start a FULL conversion each day?
I guess thats it for now,
Let me know if you'd like me to clarify anything.