Video Screencast Help

License issues with Office 2010 products

Created: 27 Jul 2012 | 15 comments

I have virtualized Visio 2010 and Project 2010. These packages work perfectly on our test machine that does not have Office 2010 installed.

However, testing these packages on a test "production" machine that does have Office 2010, it first goes through a configuration and it fails with:

Error 25004. The product key you entered cannot be used on this machine. This is most likely due to previous Office 2010 trials being installed. (System error: -1073425663)

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 cannot verify the license for this application. A repair attempt failed or was canceled by the user. The application will now shut down.

Afterwards, when I reopen the locally installed Office 2010, it goes through another configuration and fails saying the copy is not activiated and offers a button to change the Product Key.

I'm creating the package on Windows XP SP1 VMware. Using SWS 6.1

What I have tried is:
- Captured Visio on a system with and without Office 2010 installed
- The above plus launching Visio after capture to run through the configuration
- Installed Office 2010, then Visio 2010, then uninstalled Office
- All above with and without Global Capture

Seems like nothing works.

Anyone have any knowledge of this, any suggestions?

Comments 15 CommentsJump to latest comment

EdT's picture

What sort of product key are you using?  Is it a volume KMS or MAK key ?

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

Dan Vicente's picture

We are using MAK since KMS requires a host that we do not have.

EdT's picture

How did you virtualise these apps?  Did you capture the installation of the MSI, or just wrap the MSI to install when the layer is first used?

If you used capture, did you create the layers on a machine with Office 2010 installed, or a totally clean machine?

Is Office 2010 in a layer or in the base operating system?

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

Dan Vicente's picture

Captured the installation of the MSI

What I have tried is:
- Captured Visio on a system with and without Office 2010 installed
- The above plus launching Visio after capture to run through the configuration
- Captured Office 2010, then Visio 2010, then uninstalled Office 2010
- All above with and without Global Capture

If you used capture, did you create the layers on a machine with Office 2010 installed, or a totally clean machine?
Layers don't need to be created as capturing from Wise Virtual Composer does it for you. As I have stated above, the test VM is OS only, nothing else. I've captured with and without Office 2010 installed.

Is Office 2010 in a layer or in the base operating system?
Both. 1 capture I've installed Office 2010 on the PC (base OS). On another capture I've installed Office 2010 while capturing Visio/Project, then Uninstalled Office 2010 from the package.

Dan Vicente's picture

I've read a few websites talking about this error but, they all refer to using Microsoft App-V. Appearntly there is a solution for this, for App-V. Is there a solution for SWS?

EdT's picture

What is the solution for App/V ?  It may be possible to translate this into the SWS environment - or are you referring to an App/V patch ?

It may also be instructive to examine the Application Event Log when you start your Visio package on a machine with Office 2010 installed. As these are both MSI based packages, it is highly likely that there is some sort of self healing being triggered off when Visio runs through its startup checks, and this is normally recorded in the event log. Any capable application packager should be able to investigate the reported components and determine whether something can be done to suppress this behaviour.

Dan Vicente's picture

Seems it could be some patch for App-V. It was an Office Toolkit of some sort. I gave it a try with no success.

Event:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date:  8/2/2012
Time:  8:30:01 AM
User:  ASVS-XP\Administrator
Computer: ASVS-XP
Description:
Product: Microsoft Office Visio 2010 -- Error 25004. The product key you entered cannot be used on this machine.  This is most likely due to previous Office 2010 trials being installed. (System error: -1073425663)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 39 30 31 34 30 30 30   {9014000
0008: 30 2d 30 30 35 37 2d 30   0-0057-0
0010: 30 30 30 2d 30 30 30 30   000-0000
0018: 2d 30 30 30 30 30 30 30   -0000000
0020: 46 46 31 43 45 7d         FF1CE} 

-----------------------------------

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Office Software Protection Platform Service
Event ID: 1022
User:  N/A
Description:
The system has been tampered. 0xC004D301

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

--------------------------------------

Event Type: Warning
Event ID: 1056
Description:
Some data has been reset. 0x00000000 [3].

--------------------------------------

Event Type: Error
Event ID: 1017
Description:
Installation of the Proof of Purchase failed. 0xC004D301
Partial Pkey=WX8BJ
ACID=92236105-bb67-494f-94c7-7f7a607929bd
Detailed Error[?]

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp..

I guess I'm not a capable application packager.

EdT's picture

The errors look like some sort of Microsoft defence against piracy. It is recognising that the installation is not being used on the same machine as was used for the original deployment and is throwing up the errors you have found in the event log.

Try googling on "Office Software Protection Platform Service" - this link was interesting, but it's one of many:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officevolact/thread/f1a1cc72-d835-4d1d-8fa5-0c0d298fe4bc/

AngelD's picture

You can use OSPP.VBS (Office 2010 Client Software License Management Tool) that comes with Office to change the product key and to activate it.
The folder holding OSPP.VBS can be found by query the reg entry "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\winword.exe\Path"

Install a product key (replaces existing key) with user-provided product key. Value parameter applies.
cscript //b "<path to OSPP.VBS>" /inpkey:my-office-product-key

Activate installed Office 2010 product keys.
cscript //b "<path to OSPP.VBS>" /act

Dan Vicente's picture

Thanks Angel. But Office 2010 is installed on the base image and activiated once the PC has been deployed.

The issue is when a user goes to the software portal and selects a virtualized Office product (such as Visio). When it opens, it does a confirguration, and then the license error.

If I install Visio locally, on a PC that has Office 2010 locally installed and activiated, everything works fine. This License errors seems to only pop up with an Office product has been virtualized. 

The link EdT provided talks about lengthing or shorting the InActiveShutdownDelay which turns off the OSPP service after a set time of inactivity. It doesn't matter if I set this to 0 seconds or a million. When running the virtualized office product, it still runs the confirguration and throws a license error.

ryanmc's picture

You may want to look at the Office 2010 virtualization tips thread previously on Connect.

Since you already have Office installed on the base you already have the Office Software Protection Platform Services in the base.  So you need to get the keys for Visio, Project, or other layers into the base and make sure those layers do not provide a competing copy (that would mess up the Office copy in the base).

I don't know if adding the App-V Licensing Components to the base image is possible for your situation, or if you will have to resort to using activation/deactivation or import/delete scripts to merge the keys from the layer into the base so that the base OSPPSvc sees all keys rather than just the ones provided by the last activated layer.

Dan Vicente's picture

Hi Ryan.

That was the first thing I tried before creating this topic. I can try it again but, by following it twice I'm either missing something or doing something wrong as it didn't work for me.

So you need to get the keys for Visio, Project, or other layers into the base and make sure those layers do not provide a competing copy

Do you mean to install Visio onto the base and uninstall so it leaves a trail sort of speak or hiding the layer?

using activation/deactivation or import/delete scripts to merge the keys

I'd have to experiment with this as I haven't virtualized any packages containing scripts.

ryanmc's picture

So you need to get the keys for Visio, Project, or other layers into the base and make sure those layers do not provide a competing copy

Do you mean to install Visio onto the base and uninstall so it leaves a trail sort of speak or hiding the layer?

The key in the other post was how to make sure the various Office family products would all share a common set of the shared components that include the Office Software Protection Platform Services.  In your case you have an existing copy on the base image with the conventional install of Office.  You need to somehow get the virtualized layers of Visio and Project to use that same copy.

Because the service is already provided in the base, the virtualized applications could be talking to a service that doesn't know about the virtualized products.  Or, depending on the structure of the storage used by the service, you could wind up in a scenario where the virtualized layer has priority over the base and now the OSPPSvc only knows about a virtualized package and not the base Office package (because the other and/or the base are lower in priority in the virtualization stack).

The goal of the other post is to have only one copy of the OSPPSvc be provided on the system - in your case it needs to be modified to utilize the existing copy from the base rather than provide it in its own layer.

Dan Vicente's picture

One of the issues I had with the article is that OSPP wasn't where he said it should be. It wasn't there at all. Other comments and topics said it worked even though it wasn't there.

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. I'm just struggling with how to go about it. I'll try the article again just in case I missed something the first two times or made a mistake.