Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Linux hostname change, how to get BE 2012 to report that

Created: 01 Oct 2012 • Updated: 02 Oct 2012 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Backup Exec 2012 (on Windows 2008 R2 server)

Linux server running the RALUS agent

I've recently updated a linux server with a new host name however, even though I removed the server from the BE server list, and it gets rediscovered automatically, the old name keeps getting reported.

Am I going to need to re-install the software to correct this or, is/are there file(s) that I can modify and then stop/restart the VRTSralus service to fix this?

I updated both the hostname as well as the domain it is a part of.

Thanks,

James

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

VJware's picture

I am guessing there is an entry in the ralus.cfg file ( don't have a system handy to confirm though )...Stop the RALUS service & edit the .cfg file from /etc/VRTSralus

Else, if that doesn't work, try reinstalling the ralus agent..

Jaydeep S's picture

You would need to reinstall the RALUS. You could try to see if you can find the server name in /etc/VRTSralus/RALUS.CFG.

SOLUTION
TandyBrands's picture

Just to update this for anyone else.

ralus.cfg does not contain the domain, only the server name.  I did not take this route to modify, as the name seem to be tied to the internal trust certificate issuance.

Backup Exec seem to finally find the new server name all on it's own, but it took 24 hours before it showed up.  Further, it does not realize this is the same previously named server, so two end up on the server list.

Basically, I deleted both listings, then re-ran the install program.  Since everything was already previously installed on the Linux server, it took no time at all. 

I then added the server in the listing, and re-added my backup schedules.

I'm Marking Jay's answer as to the solution I went with.

Thanks,

James