List/ compare files NOT backed up (omitted / skipped / ignored / left out) due to filter
Dear Backup Exec users and technical support,
In my department we use BE2010 R3 on Windows Server 2008 R2 with a big tape robot. Thanks to modern times, admins come and go; I think they call it "temporary employment" and it's hip :-)
This leads to possible and actual filter policy change of the backup jobs to tape(We use positive filters like "archive *.avi, *.txt" ...; I know it is a social problem, but I am trying to find a technical solution for this) and therefore I don't know what folders with yet archived files on the server I can securely delete when the server's drive is full. Besides it can occur that users store files on the server and don't communicate to us, that file extension xyz shall be included in the backup jobs from now on...but do that "much later"
- Is using "positive" filters state-of-the-art when archiving in an environment like the one described above?
- Is there a way to get a list of all files NOT archived (and therefore not present in BE's catalog) but present on the server?
Here are some thoughts about possible solutions:
- For example I am dreaming of a way to "mount" BE's catalog to virtual windows drive(s)/ directories and then do an (of course a non-file-content) comparison with a standard software such as "Total Commander".
- 3rd party tool that does this comparison and has a GUI like the windows file explorer (but with the difference that You always see all the files of all subfolders of the directory selected by the user) but where you can browse "only NOT yet archived on tape" files in a tree view
- Or of course list all files NOT backed up of a folder (and its subfolders) in a report: show files not present in tape backup/ catalog but on the server's directory.
Any ideas about that? Thanks in advance for posting!