Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Live Update Error Code 1803

Posted Sep 06, 2012 03:24 AM

Hi, Im not really a computer expert so bear with me.  I believe I got a trojan virus last week because my girlfriend used a flash drive on her netbook that does not have antivirus and then used it on my laptop.  My comp instantly noticed it, but Kapersky (which I was running at the time) could not neutralize or disinfect it and I was not sure how to get rid of it.  I then spoke with IT at my school UC Berkeley and they reminded me that a free symantec antivirus is available to download for all students.  I downloaded and am trying to run it properly but the live update wont work and it says that I have an error code 1803.  My comp keep freezes now when I try to run so it I am trying to a scan in safe mode with networking but still it wont update.  Im not sure what to do.  It looks like my comp is heading for deep six.  Anyone have any advice?

• 2.  RE: Live Update Error Code 1803

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 06, 2012 03:52 AM

• 3.  RE: Live Update Error Code 1803

Posted Sep 06, 2012 04:14 AM

Hi,

Check this artical

LiveUpdate fails with a popup message that displays the following error: "Error: LU1803 Unable to run Liveupdate"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH98312

A clean install of the latest compatible release of LiveUpdate often resolves this issue.  

Uninstall Symantec LiveUpdate with Add/Remove Programs

1. Change the following registry key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders\AppData
      value=%APPDATA%

Change it to:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders\AppData
      value=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

2.  Check for folders left by Liveupdate and remove them if they are present.

Windows XP/2003 

C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate, 

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate.

Windows Vista/7/2008

C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate,

C:\Program Data\Symantec\Liveupdate.

1. Reinstall Symantec LiveUpdate.
    2. Repair install Symantec AntiVirus 10.x or Symantec Endpoint Protection11.x
    3. Run LiveUpdate.