Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Live update fails with error 1825

Posted Sep 12, 2011 04:46 AM

Hi all,

I have installed SEPM 11.0 RU7 on a 2008 R2 server and created a new external SQL database.  The server also hosts a WSUS installation. All the features I have tested work except LiveUpdate.  While manually importing a .jdb file works, luall.exe does not.  LiveUpdate fails with a number of the following errors:

Error 1825 LiveUpdate could not understand how to install this update.  You may need to get the latest version of LiveUpdate before you can install this update.

Does anyone have any ideas where the problem may lie? 

During installation I installed SEPM in a nonstandard location.  The program files for SEPM is located in E:\Symantec\ and I was wondering if LiveUpdate is having problems finding the data\inbox folder to drop updates into?  Is this a possibility and if so how can it be rectified?  The Log.LiveUpdate does reference actions occurring on a subdirectory of e:\symatec\data\inbox\

While I could reinstall, I would like to avoid that until I have a little advice as getting our DBA to build a new SQL database is quite the challenge. Any assistance anyone could provide would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Adam

• 2.  RE: Live update fails with error 1825

Posted Sep 12, 2011 05:02 AM

Hi Adam443,

Un-install the software from add/remove programs.
    Download Malwarebytes free version and run a full scan on your computer. Once everything is clean then install the LiveUpdate back on the computer.

• 3.  RE: Live update fails with error 1825

Posted Sep 12, 2011 05:17 AM

you need to run the update command

How to Uninstall and Reinstall LiveUpdate When a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager or Symantec Endpoint Protection Client is Installed

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102609

• 4.  RE: Live update fails with error 1825

Posted Sep 12, 2011 05:42 AM

Hi Adam,

Can you post the log.liveupdate from that SEPM to this thread?  By examining its contents, forum members may be able to offer some advice.

Also: can you check if the LiveUpdate components are installed to C or to E?

• 5.  RE: Live update fails with error 1825

Posted Sep 13, 2011 10:30 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Folks,

Thankyou for the advice. 

Mick, LiveUpdate is installed on the C drive and SEPM to E. 

Also please find attached a cut down copy of the Log.LiveUpdate file.  I have only included approximately 2 minutes of logs while I executed luall.exe once so i could sanitise the output easier. A number of IP addresses have been removed.  I have noted where the IP addresses have been removed.

Regards,

Adam

Attachment(s)

txt
    LogLiveUpdate-edited.txt   378 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: Live update fails with error 1825

Posted Sep 15, 2011 06:22 AM

Hi Adam,

I've only seen the specific error from your log once before, and in that case the root of the problem was a third-party web security gateway that was between the SEPM and the Internet.  Is such a device in place on your network?

13/09/2011, 0:22:42 GMT -> Progress Update: PATCH_DOWNLOADING_START: Number of patches: 8

13/09/2011, 0:22:43 GMT -> HttpSendRequest (status 503): Request failed - Server is temporarily overloaded.
    13/09/2011, 0:22:43 GMT -> HttpSendRequest (status 503): Request failed - Server is temporarily overloaded.
    13/09/2011, 0:22:44 GMT -> HttpSendRequest (status 503): Request failed - Server is temporarily overloaded.
    13/09/2011, 0:22:45 GMT -> HttpSendRequest (status 503): Request failed - Server is temporarily overloaded.

13/09/2011, 0:22:54 GMT -> Progress Update: PATCH_PROCESSING_FINISH: Number of patches: 8, Num successful: 0
    13/09/2011, 0:22:54 GMT -> EVENT - SESSION END FAILED EVENT - The LiveUpdate session ran in Express Mode. LiveUpdate found 8 updates available, of which 0 were installed and 8 failed to install.  The LiveUpdate session exited with a return code of 1806, LiveUpdate downloaded all of the updates you requested, but was unable to install any of them.

Configure the proxy/security device (if one is present) to allow all traffic to and from liveupdate servers on the Internet.  That might allow this SEPM to succeed.

Please do update the thread with your progress!  I am curious about this case.

• 7.  RE: Live update fails with error 1825

Posted Sep 15, 2011 06:37 AM

Doing a little more research--- proxies and permissions are almost certainly at the root of this issue.  There are other messages in that log which are known to take place when certain accounts and arrangements are involved.

13/09/2011, 0:22:46 GMT -> LiveUpdate couldn't expand replacement path [SesmSyKnWlupdateDir-lumetadata].
    13/09/2011, 0:22:46 GMT -> LiveUpdate couldn't expand replacement path [SesmSyKnWl64updateDir-lumetadata].
    13/09/2011, 0:22:46 GMT -> LiveUpdate couldn't expand replacement path [sesmipsdef32InstallDir].
    13/09/2011, 0:22:46 GMT -> LiveUpdate couldn't expand replacement path [sesmipsdef64InstallDir].

What account is LiveUpdate configured to run as?  Have any proxy settings been configured for it from Control Panel?  What kind of proxy is in use on the network?

Feel free to reply by PM if you would prefer not to place such details in this public forum thread.

All the best,

Mick

• 8.  RE: Live update fails with error 1825

Posted Sep 22, 2011 04:58 AM

Hi Adam,

Just a ping to see if you have had time to look into this further. 

If you have solved the issue, please do remember to update this thread for the benefit of future admins in your same situation.

If you need addiional assistance, please do not need to hesitate to use the forum of contact Technical Support.

Thanks once again,

Mick