Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Migration User

Migration UserMay 23, 2011 05:08 PM

Migration User

Migration UserMay 23, 2011 07:13 PM

• 1.  Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 12:10 PM

Hi.

This is not SEP Management computer.  Live Update is failing.

When I manually run live update, the following error is thrown immediately:

LU1803 Live update failed while getting your updates.

When accesing Live Update via the control panel, I receive the following error:

Live update could not access settings:  Error code: 0x80004002.

I have been poking around the Symantec support site and have determinded that I will need to remove and reinstall Live Update.

But, need to know the following:

- What's the best way to do this?

- Where can I download the latest live update for server 2008 and endpoint protection?

- Where is the location of the live update log file on server 2008 and how does one read this? Notepad?

Thank you.

• 2.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 23, 2011 12:12 PM

Hello,

Check the Symantec Articles:

LU1803: LiveUpdate had an internal error while getting your updates. Your Symantec programs were not updated.

LiveUpdate fails to Run, Error Code 1803

Uninstall Liveupdate and Reinstall it again by Following, the Article below:

How to Uninstall and Reinstall LiveUpdate When a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager or Symantec Endpoint Protection Client is Installed

Videos:

Troubleshooting LiveUpdate Part -1

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/troubleshooting-liveupdate-part-1

Troubleshooting LiveUpdate Part -2

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/troubleshooting-liveupdate-part-2

Troubleshooting LiveUpdate Part -3

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/troubleshooting-liveupdate-part-3

Check the Liveupdate Part -2 and Part -3 for Solution.

Hope that Helps!!!

• 3.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 12:14 PM

yes u can open that in notepad

u can remove that from add/remove programs

you can download from ftp site

ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/liveupdate/

3.3 is the latest

once you do the unisntall of LU; do a repair of SEP from add/remove programs that will get register

• 4.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 01:11 PM

Thanks all.

I would like to upgrade the entire installation to the latest release MP3.  Can you advise on the steps to take should I want to do this as well?

I'm thinking that I would)

A) Remove the Symantec Client on the server.

B) Remove Live Update.

C) Migrate to the MP3.

If I do this, will the migration reinstall Live Update automatically?

One of the things I'm concerned about is that there usually are some manual registry entries that need to be removed, and folders that need to be removed manually that the unistalls don't take care of.

A Symantec support thread here recommends to upgrade to the latest version when this error occurs and references the steps but I can't find it.

Thanks.

• 5.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 01:21 PM

when you upgrade you dont need to follow any of those steps

just run the install on top of the existing one; that should fix it.

once upgrade is done; if u stil face the issue ; do a repair from add/remove programs for SEP; that should take care.

• 6.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 05:05 PM

Hi.

OK.  I upgraded, and that resolved the LU problem.

However, now that I've done so all the MP3 clients have stopped communicating to the EP server.  I though that the mgmt server was backwards compatible.  That it would manage MP2 as well as MP3 clients?

Can you assist?

• 7.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 05:08 PM

Oops.... I meant all the MP2 clients. 

• 8.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error
    Best Answer

Posted May 23, 2011 05:10 PM

Yes SEPM is backward compatible,What is the version of your SEPM console ? Did you make any changes in the SEPM recently.

Is port 8014 open on the server make sure either windows firewall is off or this port is excluded.

Also try exporting a new install package and installing it there might be the problem with the install package also make sure you add MP3 install package in SEPM.

• 9.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 05:25 PM

Hi Vikram.

Actually, I upgraded the SEPM console to 11.0.6300.803 from 11.0.6200.754.

This worked fine. 

I then installed the new client on the SEPM console computer and that worked fine.  Problem is that the only computer that is reporting to the SEPM is this upgraded client.

All the other clients on the network are still at 11.0.6200.754 and they do not report any longer.

The only other thing I've done is I removed the old client packages once the upgrade was done.  I wouldn't think though that his would effect the communications.

Thanks.

• 10.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 05:48 PM

Removing client packaged shold not affect the communivation. How do you done upgradation? During this process do you chaged any ports?

• 11.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 05:48 PM

Were they reporting to SEPM once it was upgraded ? I would think communication would have lost during Upgrade. Try Replacing sylink on a client.

• 12.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 06:43 PM

Update.  On the Windows 2008 server the windows firewall was reenabled.  I'm not sure when that would have happened, but once I turned this off (be sure to do so from Network Sharing Center and not services) clients began talking again.

Thanks.

• 13.  RE: Live Update Fails With LU1803 Error

Posted May 23, 2011 07:13 PM

Aaahh..Thats what I thought..