Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  LiveUpdate 3.3.0.96 stuck at "Downloading Antivirus and antispyware definitions (2 of 2), complete."

Posted Jul 17, 2011 07:05 AM

A brief snapshot of my system and software type/version installed:

PC: Lenovo X61T Tablet

Antivirus Software Installed: Symantec Endpoint Protection, Version: 11.0.6100.645

LiveUpdate Version: 3.3.0.96

Date Installed On: 07/17/2011(today)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem:

LiveUpdate won't download antivirus and anti-spyware definitions:

Here's what I see in the LiveUpdate window:

The following Symantec products and components are installed on your computer.
    > Antivirus and antispyware definitions
    > Intrusion Prevention signatures
    > LiveUpdate
    > Submission Control signatures
    > Symantec Endpoint Protection client
    > Symantec Security Software
    > Symantec Security Software Update
    > Symantec Shared Components

Initializing...
    Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...

Downloading catalog file (1 of 14), product up-to-date.
    Downloading catalog file (2 of 14), complete.
    Opening update list
    The digital signature found on the catalog file has been signed by Symantec Corporation.
    Processing update list
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Downloading catalog file (3 of 14), product up-to-date.
    Downloading catalog file (4 of 14), product up-to-date.
    Downloading catalog file (5 of 14), complete.
    Opening update list
    The digital signature found on the catalog file has been signed by Symantec Corporation.
    Processing update list
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Downloading catalog file (6 of 14), complete.
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Downloading catalog file (7 of 14), complete.
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Downloading catalog file (8 of 14), complete.
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Downloading catalog file (9 of 14), complete.
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Downloading catalog file (10 of 14), complete.
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Downloading catalog file (11 of 14), complete.
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Downloading catalog file (12 of 14), product up-to-date.
    Downloading catalog file (13 of 14), complete.
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Downloading catalog file (14 of 14), complete.
    Opening update list
    Processing update list
    Opening update list
    Processing update list

The following updates have been found:
    > Symantec Security Software,  6742.9 KB 
    > Antivirus and antispyware definitions,  161433.2 KB 
    > Submission Control signatures,  3.1 KB 
    > Intrusion Prevention signatures,  1040.2 KB 
    Total Download 169219.5 KB 

Downloading Antivirus and antispyware definitions (2 of 2), complete.

That's it! It goes no further!

And, then I get a pop-up window saying "LiveUpdate start failed with error code - 536805375"

PLEASE HELP!

• 2.  RE: LiveUpdate 3.3.0.96 stuck at "Downloading Antivirus and antispyware definitions (2 of 2), complete."
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 17, 2011 08:38 AM

Follow this document

Error: "LiveUpdate start failed with error code -536805375"

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH96814

• 3.  RE: LiveUpdate 3.3.0.96 stuck at "Downloading Antivirus and antispyware definitions (2 of 2), complete."

Posted Jul 18, 2011 06:02 AM

Go to control panel.

Double click and open Symantec Liveupdate and make it interactive.

Now Run the Liveupdate on the client.

Follow the screen to manaully run the Liveupdate.

Also check the available space in C:

Good Luck!

• 4.  RE: LiveUpdate 3.3.0.96 stuck at "Downloading Antivirus and antispyware definitions (2 of 2), complete."

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 18, 2011 07:07 AM

Hi,

One solution to this issue- recommended only if no other Symantec products than SEP are installed on the computer- is to uninstall the existing SEP and LiveUpdate programs and replace them with fresh, new installations that should perform correctly.

1. Uninstall both LiveUpdate and Symantec Endpoint Protection.
    2. Delete the following folders:
      • C:\Program Files\Symantec
      • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
      • C:\Users\All Users\Applications\Symantec (Windows Vista Home Premium; other Win OS's would be C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec)
    3. Restart the computer.
    4. Re-install LiveUpdate and Symantec Endpoint Protection. Only the latest available releases of LiveUpdate and SEP should be used.

Please note that uninstalling LiveUpdate will affect all Symantec products installed on the computer. If additional Symantec products are present, a Repair Install should be run on each of them from Add/Remove programs so that they correctly register with the new installation of LiveUpdate.

• 5.  RE: LiveUpdate 3.3.0.96 stuck at "Downloading Antivirus and antispyware definitions (2 of 2), complete."

Posted Jul 20, 2011 04:20 PM

@ TheMinimalist, Can you give us an update on your issue?

Thanks,

Thomas

• 6.  RE: LiveUpdate 3.3.0.96 stuck at "Downloading Antivirus and antispyware definitions (2 of 2), complete."

Posted Jul 23, 2011 08:11 AM

@Rafeeq, @Chetan Savade, @theexplorer, & @Thomas K

Thanks for your response guys. I'll go about troubleshooting my LiveUpdate issue in the chronological order  in which you all have responded with possible solutions.

Please give me a few hours and I'll report back on what happens.

Thanks again!

• 7.  RE: LiveUpdate 3.3.0.96 stuck at "Downloading Antivirus and antispyware definitions (2 of 2), complete."

Posted Jul 23, 2011 10:03 AM

Hey guys,

This is what I did:

1) Uninstalled SEP, which also uninstalled LiveUpdate simultaneously.

2) Deleted these folders:

• C:\Program Files\Symantec
    • C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
    • C:\Users\MyPCName\AppData\Local\Symantec

The error I'm getting with LiveUpdate:

"Downloaded antivirus and anti-spyware definitions (2 of 2) complete.

Error LU1835: When running LiveUpdate, the error message: "LU1835: Connection to the LiveUpdate server failed. The LiveUpdate server failed to respond in a reasonable amount of time. This could happen because you could not connect to the server, the server is now unavailable, or you became disconnected from the server. Try running LiveUpdate again".

So, I checked out this link that addresses LU1835 Error:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53376

I have a few question:

1) Where is the "All Users" folder in Windows 7 file system? I have the "show hidden files and folders" selection on.

2) I downloaded Symantec Endpoint Protection through my University's website(It has a partnership with Symantec). This is the installation file name: winsepfull32_11.0.6100_20100824. It installs both SEP and LiveUpdate together into my system. Do you think that LiveUpdate is too old? Or may be it's corrupted?

If yes, can be independetly download LU directly from Symantec's website that is compatible with my version of SEP?

When I double click on SEP "yellow shield" icon, I get a window. Under Antivirus and Antispyware protection, I see: Definitions: Thursday, June 17th, 2010 r18

Clearly, I must update that, but I just can't!

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing back from you guys...

PS, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Version: 11.0.6100.645

LiveUpdate Version: 3.3.0.96

• 8.  RE: LiveUpdate 3.3.0.96 stuck at "Downloading Antivirus and antispyware definitions (2 of 2), complete."

Posted Jul 23, 2011 02:09 PM

Thanks everyone!

After struglling with the problem, I really should know how the problem got resolved, but the truth is that I don't.

I tried to close the SEP GUI window that appears once you double click on the "yellow shield" and tried to run LiveUpdate manually.

It failed with the same error as mentioned above. So, I opened "Task Manager" and killed all Symantec processes(using End Process Tree option). For some reason, I could never kill them and they kept popping back up. So, I kept on trying to LiveUpdate SEP and I started getting the same error message(LU 1831, not sure), saying that LU is running in the background already(but I couldn't find it anywhere).

Anyways, I just decided to restart my PC and simply clicked on "Fix All" issues in SEP GUI window. 15 minutes later LIVE WAS COMPLETE! FINALLY! WITH NO ERRORS!

I wish this weren't so vague...

I hope nobody will need to refer to this page, but if they did, please follow @Chetan Savade's suggested fix.

Thanks once again!