Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  LiveUpdate 6.2.2 unable to connect to client

Posted Jul 31, 2014 07:17 PM

Hello, Iam in need of some assistance. When I install Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.4 it will install correctly however it does not update the security definitions. When I click LiveUpdate Now it will launch a "Check for Updates" window, however the "Update Now" button is greyed out. I went and inspected the liveupdate.log and found that this is what is generating in them:

Thu Jul 31 15:49:20 2014: Daemon Launched

Thu Jul 31 15:49:20 2014: Daemon version: LiveUpdate 6.2.2f1, © 2014 Symantec Corporation, All Rights Reserved.
    Thu Jul 31 15:49:20 2014: LiveUpdate Error: Could not connect to client.
    Thu Jul 31 15:49:50 2014: LUCLIENT:handleTimeOut

Thu Jul 31 15:52:20 2014: Daemon Idle: Quitting

Thu Jul 31 15:52:20 2014: did fire IDLE
    Thu Jul 31 15:52:20 2014: Cleaning up
    Thu Jul 31 15:52:20 2014: DAEMON Exiting

Thu Jul 31 15:52:20 2014: Daemon Quitting

Now the majority of the Macs in our environment are able to install the definitions perfectly fine, however I did notice a difference in the liveupdate.log between the two during the intial install. When it comes to the Macs that are not working they generate what I posted above in the logs, on the other hand, for the Macs that are working fine, the first thing that they  generate in the liveupdate.log during the initial install is this:

Daemon Launched

Daemon version: LiveUpdate 6.2.2f1, © 2014 Symantec Corporation, All Rights Reserved.

*** Adding Command

**** Command Key/Value (RegistryPath//Library/Application Support/Symantec/LiveUpdate/ActiveRegistry)

**** Command Key/Value (VolumeRoot//)

**** Command Key/Value (PlugInPath//Library/Application Support/Symantec/LiveUpdate/PlugIns)

After that shows in the log it begins to connect and starts to download and install the definitions fine. Why is it that the Macs that cannot do LiveUpdates do not show this in the log? Is there an issue during the install? I have already uninstalled and reinstalled but still the same issue occurs. Any ideas anyone?

• 2.  RE: LiveUpdate 6.2.2 unable to connect to client

Posted Jul 31, 2014 07:43 PM

seems to be know issue

Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh: LiveUpdate fails when run manually through client interface

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212506

just make sure that both the clinets are in same group in SEPM. Check the liveupdate policy and see if they are same.

• 3.  RE: LiveUpdate 6.2.2 unable to connect to client

Posted Jul 31, 2014 08:40 PM

Thanks for the quick response Rafeeq, I have already checked to see that they are all in the same group in SEPM and they are all recieving the same policy as well. I have also looked into the article that you posted and tried running the LU executable command but it still does the same thing. I am thinking it has to be something with these commands 

"

*** Adding Command

**** Command Key/Value (RegistryPath//Library/Application Support/Symantec/LiveUpdate/ActiveRegistry)

**** Command Key/Value (VolumeRoot//)

**** Command Key/Value (PlugInPath//Library/Application Support/Symantec/LiveUpdate/PlugIns)

"

that the working Macs run during install since the NON-working Macs do not run them. I also noticed that inside the "Library/Application Support/Symantec/LiveUpdate" directory on the working Macs there is a file called "ActiveRegistry" however on the NON-working Macs there is no such file. It is almost as if it is not installing correctly on certain machines. They all have the same OS, which is Mavericks, same system preferences and security settings, everything is pretty much identicle it just stumps me that a couple of these Macs will not install definitions.

• 4.  RE: LiveUpdate 6.2.2 unable to connect to client

Posted Aug 01, 2014 10:01 AM

Anyone have ideas?

• 5.  RE: LiveUpdate 6.2.2 unable to connect to client

Posted Aug 01, 2014 10:38 AM

can you use GatherSymantecInfo tool and post the liveupdate log

LiveUpdate 6.x for Macintosh: Overview and Troubleshooting

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH212353