Video Screencast Help

Liveupdate does not working and cant update virus defination

Created: 20 Feb 2013 • Updated: 21 Feb 2013 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

One client machine liveupdate service not working , I had tried to update using virus defination file but still problem not resolved. I had tried on connect but still not understood which exactly solution I should try.

please help me urgently as system is on priority.

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Ashish-Sharma's picture


Please provide sylink logs

Are the client showing green dot ?

It's managed client ?

Whst OS version are you using ?

If incase these machines are Windows 7 machines, I would recommend you to:

a. Disable the Windows Firewall or create exceptions for the ports on these machines to communicate to the SEPM

b. Disable the UAC (User Account Control) and restart the machine.

c. If that does not work, please provide us with sylink.log from one of those machine.

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Sumit G's picture

Maybe definition is corrupted. Try below

How to clear corrupt Virus Definitions from SEPM

Using the "Rx4DefsSEP" utility

Using the "Rx4Defs64" utility

Symantec Endpoint Protection: LiveUpdate Troubleshooting Flowchart

Only 32 Bit Antivirus / Antispyware Definitions are not updating on the 32 Bit / 64 Bit Operating System.

How to clear out definitions for a Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 client manually


Sumit G.

Mithun Sanghavi's picture


Here are few Troubleshooting Articles you have have to look at:

Symantec Endpoint Protection: Troubleshooting Client/Server Connectivity

Symantec Endpoint Protection: LiveUpdate Troubleshooting Flowchart

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Associate Security Architect


Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.