Video Screencast Help

LiveUpdate encountered one or more errors. Return code = 4

Created: 22 Nov 2012 • Updated: 03 Jun 2013 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

All in a sudden my SEPM 12.1 RU1 MP1 causing an error in the Liveupdate ?

I have tried to follow the steps in: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH103112

to do the following:

 

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

  1. Open a command window, then browse to:
    C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin
  2. Type lucatalog -cleanup and press Enter.
  3. Type lucatalog -forcedupdate and press Enter.
  4. Run LiveUpdate to verify that there are no errors.

If the error persists, examine Log.LiveUpdate for more detailed information or error codes.

but somehow it is still failed?

 

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

John Santana's picture

Hm.. I was confused but glad today since the reboot has solved the problem seems to be.

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.

John Santana's picture

Actually I didn't do anything else, just issue ing Start | run

"luall" then its all working manually.

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.

Ashish-Sharma's picture

HI,

 above steps haven't resolved your issue.

Could you upload the Log.liveupdate from

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate

Also Check this thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/error-liveupdate-encountered-one-or-more-errors-return-code-4

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

 

 

SOLUTION
John Santana's picture

Yes after the reboot, the Live update went fine with LUALL, and now the whole company got the latest update ?

 

taht is very strange :-|

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.

SOLUTION
Glenn Jacobs's picture

We had the same problem. Its because (we think) the autoupdate is triggered bij the systemuser. So its use the SYSTEM account. When you do it manually it use the account thats logged in.

How we solved this:

We use a proxy to acces the internet. So we let all traffic from our SEPMserver to "*.symantec.com" through our proxy without user authentication.

this solved it. Offcourse we still need to point to our proxy in our configuration.

 

If you don't use any proxy authentication, then this will not help you i think.

 

SOLUTION
John Santana's picture

Glenn,

Many thanks forthe advice, I am using proxy for sure.

Kind regards,

John Santana
IT Professional

--------------------------------------------------

Please be nice to me as I'm newbie in this forum.