Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  LiveUpdate Version for SEP 12.1 SBE

Posted Apr 16, 2015 04:17 PM

We are running Symantec Endpoint Protection (client only) on a server.  The OS is Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials.  Back in the past, we also used Symantec Backup Exec 2010 QuickStart edition.  It also included a version of Symantec LiveUpdate.  Backup Exec was installed before Symantec Endpoing Protection was.  We still use SEP but not Backup Exec.

The version of Symantec LiveUpdate installed on the server (according to the installed program list in Control Panel) is 3.3.0.92.  It original installation date matches the date we installed Backup Exec (which was removed/uninstalled a couple of years ago).  Here is my question.  Is this the correct version of LiveUpdate to use in conjunction with the Endpoint Protection SBE Windows client?  Can we remove/uninstall this LiveUpdate program or will that have an impact on the update process for SEP?

Thanks very much for your assistance with this question.

• 2.  RE: LiveUpdate Version for SEP 12.1 SBE

Posted Apr 16, 2015 04:55 PM

That is a fairly old version. Latest I believe is 3.3.100.15 but it may be that the client is using that version since it was ther eprior to install.

You can get the latest version here if you want to reinstall

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH181305

• 3.  RE: LiveUpdate Version for SEP 12.1 SBE

Posted Apr 17, 2015 01:41 PM

Thanks very much for the information, Brian.  Should I uninstall/remove the existing version of LiveUpdate prior to installing the new one, or will the installation procedure automatically remove any older versions of LiveUpdate?

Is there any risk to SEP by changing the LiveUpdate version?

• 4.  RE: LiveUpdate Version for SEP 12.1 SBE
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 17, 2015 03:10 PM

SEP 12.1 I believe has LU built-in so you can remove the old LU and you should be good. No need to install a standalone LU version.

SEP 12.1 uses SepLiveUdate. See the article here:

About SepLiveUpdate.exe