Looking for an efficient method to deploy 1,350 Site Servers on a 1x3 hierarchy ITMS 7.1
Hello, I need to know if anybody has deployed a big number of site servers (I need Task and Package Server) in a short period of time. The process I follow and recommend to my customers is described below to a very high level, however I have a challenge where a customer needs to deploy hundreds of Site servers in a new envieonment. The other interesting point here is that the configuration will be made using https (that has been reported as an issue for some customers)
1. Verify pre-requisites on servers (IIS, .net 3.5 on Servers - We will have 2 server types: Windows 2003 SP2 and addiitonal settings for Windows 2008 R2 as described in KB articles)
2. Create Sites and associate Subnets in Altiris Console
3. Configure SSL on servers (where applicable)
4. Install Altiris Agent on Server (Use the driver with the most available free space)
5. Verify Agent installation have finished
6. Install Task Services using Altiris Console
7. Verify Installation finish successfully and then Install Package Services from the Altiris Console
8. verify the installation finish, packages fully downloaded and turn to "ready"
9. Altiris Console should services installed and properly configured (Green status)
1. Available bandwith is very limited between Server's datacenter and remote locations (256 Kbps, 512 Kbps, and 1,536 Kbps) - So network is an issue
2. Unable to install during business hours. Current window time is defined on 2 hours from 1:00 AM to 3 AM - So the installation should be scheduled to run for then
3. No resources available to follow the process described - The process should be automated, maxmimizing the number of installs every night (based on available bandwidth)
4. Due other projects scheduled, this process should be accomplished ASAP (less than a month = OKAY, more time may not be OKAY...)
I'll like to get thoughts, experience, suggestions and so.
My initial idea:
1. Create a script that install the Agent, probably on Day 1,
2. Another script that install the Task Agent, Day 2
3. A 3rd script that install the Package Server Agent and download packages Day 3
My problem is to determine How many Installs can I do per day, since not sure about the overhead that may be created on the SMP servers...
Any inputs are more than welcome!