Losing catalog from tape when appending?
Hi, I recently came accross something wierd when servicing a customer.
They run a 2003 server with Backup Exec 9.1 having all latest updates/patches as of writing. (I am fairly certain of this as I installed most of the updates myself.)
The streamer is a Sony SDX-460V with the latest BE driver from Veritas.
The first thing I noticed was that in media types, "*" is all that shows up with read and write set to NO. To start a blank tape I had to manually set it to YES on read and write and then get it to label the tape. After this was done, it happily accepts the tape again. (Has to be done for all new tapes.) It does not retain the read/write setting at all.
But, the issue:
First I ran one job: backup with modified time, set to overwrite tape using family name "Weekly 1a".
Then I ran second job: backup with modified time, set to append only, family name in case of overwrite "Weekly 1b".
(This name should not be used as it is append only.)
Both jobs end with success and do not backup the same files, but does work on same HD. The mediaset used allows infinite append and is overwrite protected for 1 week.
If I then enter restore menu I can see the "Weekly 1b" but not the "Weekly 1". Nor can not find any of the files from the first job in any view.
It seems to be overwriting a non-overwriteable tape, or simply loosing the catalog... I reduced the ammount of work in the jobs to a small set of files so I could run the jobs quickly to verity this behaviour and it happens every time, without fail.
I set up a backup to disk folder accross the network and tried the same jobs but with full set of files (as I needed a backup of these files now). This time they work, but I expect this may be due to them starting new files. (I set the max file size to 1 GB wich is smaller than any of the jobs alone.)
The restore menu indicates "Weekly 1a(Weekly 1)" to contain my overwrite-type backup-job after first job is run.
After second job is run, it indicates "Weekly 1b(Weekly 1)" instead and the first set is nowhere to be found.
A catalog job on the tape tells me there is NO catalogs to be found on the tape, yet the verify part of the backup jobs completed without a failure.
Version info: v9.1 rev 4691.
I hope this can be resolved as I need to set up a rotation scheme for this customer and without the data being retained they would have a serious problem...