Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Lotus Notes 8.5.1 vs SEP 12.1 (nlnhook,notes.ini,NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP,ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL)

Posted Jan 02, 2012 07:53 AM

Hi to all.

I found a solution for a problem with Lotus Notes where Notes crash after installed SEP 12.1 .

This is a solution:

Try these steps

Hello,

After migration to SEP 11.0.RU7 OR  SEP 12.1,  an error is seen in the user profile while booting the machine; error shows NLM_hook.exe type and Lotus Note is not running.

Delete the word ".dll" from the line "NSF_HOOKS=NLNVP.DLL" which resides in User Profile/Local Settings/Application Data/Lotus/Notes/Data/notes.ini

Open the file notes.ini using a text editor (Notepad for example), change the line from "NSF_HOOKS=NLNVP.DLL" to "NSF_HOOKS=NLNVP" and attempt to login to Lotus Notes again.

If the line "NSF_HOOKS=NLNVP.DLL" is not found inside notes.ini file then more configuration testing is required.

Deleting the Data folder may resolve the issue. Path for the Data folder is:User Profile/Local Settings/Application Data/Lotus/Notes/Data

NOTE: Make a copy of the NAMES.NSF file which has stored mail address to restore later after deleting the Data folder.

Reference:   https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sep-121-ru1-causing-lotus-notes-crash

Hope that helps!!

However there is a problem, this is my problem I hope someone can resolve:

Hi,

your resolution helps but, I describe you my issue:

my enviornment:

nots 8.51.

sep 12.1

windows 7 64 bit whit sep package 64 bit installad on.

I have in my notes.ini this line:

ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL

Notes starts on boot and sep, too.

Result is that sep stop functioning immediatly with a crash error because (I think) it try to modify notes.ini.

this is the event log:

Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: nlnhook.exe, versione: 12.1.1000.157, timestamp: 0x4eadfee9

Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: nlnvp.dll_unloaded, versione: 0.0.0.0, timestamp: 0x4eadfffb

Codice eccezione: 0xc0000005

Offset errore 0x62ad8ad3

ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x17cc

Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01ccc9366461f4fc

Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.1000.157.105\Bin\nlnhook.exe

Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: nlnvp.dll

ID segnalazione: a2db3721-3529-11e1-8667-005056c00008

Reading event log says me that is not sep (smc.exe) that crash but nlnhook.exe .

So,

smc -stop

After I change in my notes.ini and delete the line

ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL

insert  this line

NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP

smc -start

all seems to work properly.

smc start without crashing and notes function properly.

BUT....

in the mean time... smc (or nlnhook.exe I guess) change again notes.ini deleting NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP and inserting ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL.

at next reboot smc crash again (nlnhook crash...).

Ideas to resolve this issue?

thanks a lot!

Daniele Pierini.

Best Regards,

Daniele Pierini.

• 2.  RE: Lotus Notes 8.5.1 vs SEP 12.1 (nlnhook,notes.ini,NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP,ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 02, 2012 08:15 AM

open a support case to troubleshoot this issue.

• 3.  RE: Lotus Notes 8.5.1 vs SEP 12.1 (nlnhook,notes.ini,NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP,ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL)

Posted Jan 02, 2012 09:28 AM

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:

United States: https://support.broadcom.com (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
    Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
    United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000
    Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

• 4.  RE: Lotus Notes 8.5.1 vs SEP 12.1 (nlnhook,notes.ini,NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP,ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL)

Posted Jan 02, 2012 07:26 PM

Have you tried to just exlude the dll from sep scan?

• 5.  RE: Lotus Notes 8.5.1 vs SEP 12.1 (nlnhook,notes.ini,NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP,ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL)

Posted Jan 03, 2012 05:10 AM

Remove BOTH these lines fron the NOTES.INI on the lcient..

ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL
    NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP

Notes will work fine without them.  However not sure about Notes email scanning.  If you scan on the mail server anyway there is no need for the client to scan emails.

This is only an issue for SEP 12.1 RU1 though.  You can downgrade the client to SEP 12.1 initial release and you won't have this issue at all.

It will be fixed in SEP 12.1 RU1 MP1 which is out around April I believe...

• 6.  RE: Lotus Notes 8.5.1 vs SEP 12.1 (nlnhook,notes.ini,NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP,ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL)

Posted Jan 04, 2012 11:07 AM

If I remove both lines all work correctly.

when restart sep (smc -stop then smc -start), it write into notes.ini ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL.

at next restart nlnhook.exe crash.

• 7.  RE: Lotus Notes 8.5.1 vs SEP 12.1 (nlnhook,notes.ini,NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP,ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL)

Posted Jan 04, 2012 11:08 AM

I opened a case to enterprise Support.

Hope this issue will be resolved.

thanks to all.

• 8.  RE: Lotus Notes 8.5.1 vs SEP 12.1 (nlnhook,notes.ini,NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP,ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL)

Posted Jan 05, 2012 09:39 AM

Hi,

renaming nlnhook.exe to nlnhook1.exe   prevent the issue

But I hope Symantec will find a true solution.

So, nlnhook.exe cannot start (and I don't know what does it mean and what does not work).

like it?

• 9.  RE: Lotus Notes 8.5.1 vs SEP 12.1 (nlnhook,notes.ini,NSF_HOOKS=NVLNVP,ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL)

Posted Jan 09, 2012 09:32 AM

Another solution:

trying and trying to resolve the issue, this is what i found:

renaming notesext.dll  make it all working good.

IMPORTANT: this issue appear to be only fr Windows 7 64 bit.

on other operative systems and 7 32 bit also, changing in notes.ini the value NSF_HOOKS=NLNVP.DLL to NSF_HOOKS=NLNVP or substituting with ExtMgr_Addins=NLNVP.DLL just resolve everything.

Poor thing (SEP)...

Symantec Support did not respond to my opened case.