Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

• 1.  LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Nov 03, 2011 09:34 AM

My 2.3.0.71 LUA console has been humming along just fine and over the past couple of days my SEPM's have not been able to grab the latest updates. Defs are stuck on 10/31/11. My LUA appears to be working, it downloads and distrubutes the updates without issue. I suspect that there may be a locked or corrupt file in the CLU-Prod folder somewhere.

My question: What file/s can I delete (without scrubbing and reconfiguring my LUA) so that I can do a fresh Download (all new files) and a fresh distribution to my CLU-Prod folder? My hope is that in doing this, it would almost assure me that there were no locked or corrupt files preventing my SEPM's from getting the latest updates.

Thanks for any suggestions,

-Mike

• 2.  RE: LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Nov 03, 2011 09:37 AM

I'm aware that I can update parts of my SEPM with a JDB, I looking for a method to do a little spring cleaning on the LUA and get it doing the job for me.

-Mike

• 3.  RE: LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Nov 03, 2011 10:02 AM

So far...it seems that deleting the contents of the X:\TempDownload directory will allow me to grab a fresh download. Now all I need to know is if I can just delete the ENTIRE contents of the CLU-prod folder to ensure that when I distribute, I get all new stuff.

Thx again...

-Mike

• 4.  RE: LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Nov 03, 2011 10:09 AM

You can delete the contents of clu-prod... it's usually a big download to replace it all, though. You could also check clu-prod for .tmp files or subfolders.

My question is, to be sure we're troubleshooting the right thing, is are you sure it's the defs in clu-prod that are not updating? Does the SEPM's log.LiveUpdate show any failures?

• 5.  RE: LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Nov 03, 2011 11:07 AM

Hi Ryan,

I do have lots of files in clu-prod that are dated today, but because of the semi cryptic nature of the naming...I'm not sure which ones are directly related to AV defs. Some are obvious, some are not.

From the SEPM side, it appears (no errors on the console) that LiveUpdate completed successfully. As far as the Log.LiveUpdate file goes, I searched through it but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I searched for "error" and found a ton of these "Set property error -- Moniker", don't know if that's normal or indicitave of some failure.

Thanks for the reply,

-Mike

• 6.  RE: LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Nov 03, 2011 11:14 AM

P.S. When deleting the contents of clu-prod, I got the following error: "1319815782jtun_ennfull2v2.osi is in use by another program, close the file and try again."

I rebooted the server and it then deleted successfully...I'm distributing the fresh content now.

-Mike

• 7.  RE: LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Nov 03, 2011 11:28 AM

I deleted the contents of CLU-Prod and re-distributed the content, sadly only one file was distributed. LUA seems to believe the other 8GB's of data arre still in that folder. How do I convince the LUA to re-distribute everything to clu-prod...not just what it believes to be the changed files?

Thanks,

-Mike

• 8.  RE: LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Nov 03, 2011 03:49 PM

I'm not a LUA expert but AFAIK prior to distribution LUA saves the content at a temporary folder. Per default the location is C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate Administrator\Downloads.

Perhaps you have to delete the content in this folder as well.

• 9.  RE: LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Nov 04, 2011 09:08 AM

Thanks for thr reply Greg, At this point I've deleted so much (including the folder above), that I have no clue where things stand. Looks like another rebuild. One thing I do know is that deleting the downloads folder also deletes the Product Catalog which is not a good thing. I think wiping out the entire downloads folder is not the best idea.

Maybe 2.3.1 will have a "purge all downloads and distribution centers" button. enlightened

-Mike

• 10.  RE: LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Dec 22, 2011 11:10 AM

LUA 2.3.1 is now available!

LiveUpdate Administrator 2.3.x: Release Notes
    Article: TECH155523 | Created: 2011-03-14 | Updated: 2011-12-12 |
    Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155523

Also see:

LiveUpdate Administrator 2.3.1: What's New
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/liveupdate-administrator-231-whats-new

Changes to cover the exact circumstances detailed in this thread are not included, but you may wish to cast a vote in favor of these enhancement requests so they could possible be in the next release:

"Purge Now" Button for LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/purge-now-button-liveupdate-administrator-2x

also:

LUA 2.x Ability to Manually Replace Files when Distributing
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/lua-2x-ability-manually-replace-files-when-distributing

and

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/idea/liveupdate-administrator-improvment 

Thanks and best regards,

Mick

• 11.  RE: LUA 2.3.0.71 locked or corrupt files...

Posted Jan 03, 2012 04:56 AM

Check out this new Connect Forum article: it may have some infomation that you have not come across before about how LUA downloads, stores and purges contents.

Managing LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Space Usage
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/managing-liveupdate-administrator-2x-space-usage

Any comments on this new "Managing LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x Space Usage" are very much welcome!

Hope this helps (and happy new year!)

Mick