Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  LUA 2.3.1.82 Consistent Failure To Download Updates from External

Posted Mar 19, 2012 12:06 PM

I have a job set up to run nightly that will download updates only. It had worked the first couple weeks but now it seems to fail consistently when downloading from Symantec's update servers. The reason given in the email alerts is "Connection Failure".

I have another job set up to download from a UNC source (my laptop) which I can run manually. The UNC source is updated nightly as well off-site. When I bring my laptop in and point LUA to this source, it completes successfully.

Our bandwidth is pretty low at the site - 1.5 MB. In the past, simply retrying the download from Symantec's update servers manually a couple of times results in a successful operation.

I had noticed in the release notes that LUA 2.3 can "now automatically resume and retry file downloads". How do I configure this? I cannot seem to find a place to set the number of attempts, etc...

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: LUA 2.3.1.82 Consistent Failure To Download Updates from External

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 19, 2012 12:16 PM

• 3.  RE: LUA 2.3.1.82 Consistent Failure To Download Updates from External

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Mar 19, 2012 01:52 PM

Hello,

Check this Article:

Downloading and hosting the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) 2010 definitions patch via LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x (LUA 2.x) and LiveUpdate Administration Utility 1.x (LUAU 1.x)

Hope that helps!!

• 4.  RE: LUA 2.3.1.82 Consistent Failure To Download Updates from External

Posted Mar 20, 2012 06:04 AM

Hi Peakbagger ,

> Our bandwidth is pretty low at the site - 1.5 MB

That may be the root of it - what exactly are you tryign to download, and how far along in the downlaod job does the task get before failing?  (You can see those from LUA's Activity Monitor)

If you are downloading SEP content, then once per month, very large "hub" definitiosn must be downloaded.  If you have a slow link and are trying to download all of SEP in one go, the whole job may not complete in time.  Try to run a series of manual updates over the slow link, focusing on just one component at a time.

Please do keep this thread up-to-date with your progress!

This article may help:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/managing-liveupdate-administrator-2x-space-usage  

• 5.  RE: LUA 2.3.1.82 Consistent Failure To Download Updates from External

Posted Mar 26, 2012 11:43 AM

Well, it just so happens that our bandwidth was upgraded to 3 Mbps a day after I posted this and since then there have been no failures. Great!

However, my initital question was probably buried under all my verbiage - how does the automatic retry feature work and how can we modify retry behaviour? I suspect that this can be useful for slow sites (which may be more numerous than one expects).

Thanks!

• 6.  RE: LUA 2.3.1.82 Consistent Failure To Download Updates from External

Posted Mar 26, 2012 11:51 AM

> how does the automatic retry feature work and how can we modify retry behaviour?  

If a connection is lost, LUA will now automatically retry to download the file 3 times rather than just give up.  That's not configurable in the product GUI (preferences, etc) though certain other network factors are (bandwidth throttling, etc)

My main recommendations for admins who run their LUA on networks with slower or less reliable links:

1. Carefully select the components that you will actually need in your environment,  Don't just configure LUA to downlaod the entire product as that will usually waste bandwidth with a bunch of files that are never used. (some details in

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/managing-liveupdate-administrator-2x-space-usage  

)
    2. Configure several smaller dwonload and distribution jobs rather tahn try to get everything all in one big task.

Hope this helps!

And, very glad to hear that LUA is working well for you now.  &: )