MAC 10.6.6 will not boot after PGP Desktop 10.0.3 install and previous Mac security update
I'm running MAC 10.6.6 and pgp 10.0.1 with WDE. I had an issue where I could not boot after a MAC OSX security update. I would get a "o" with a "/" through it and get no further.
I could not boot the recovery CD but was able to via firewire and another macbook using the other mac books.
1. Once booted I mounted the pgp disk using:
# '/Library/Application Support/PGP/PGP Engine.app/Contents/Resources/pgpwde' --auth --disk 0 --passphrase "passphrase"
2. I moved off the boot.efi from /Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices to another directory
3. copied pgpboot.efi to boot.efi
4. Reboot normally and was fine.
At this point I wanted to upgrade PGP Desktop because I could not run the PGP.app GUI. I had to re-install or upgrade. I could not do either until I decrypted the WDE disk.
I did the following to upgrade:
1. I decrypted the disk using CLI and reboot and was still ok.
2. Once I reboot followed the CLI uninstall instructions.
3. Reboot again and was still ok at this point.
4. Installed PGP Desktop 10.0.3 for MAC(no wde) and reboot.
5. Problem re-occurs again. I'm back at the ""o" with a "/" through it" message and cannot get into my desktop. There is no WDE running. This seems to be an issue with the boot.efi file or something else in the startup environment.
I tried to run the WDE recovery CD and it will not boot. I can boot using the other macbook and firewire cable and tried to use the boot.efi from the recovery CD by copying it to /Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices dir.
Any recovery suggestions to reverse the issue cleanly? Anyway to uninstall PGP while booted from another disk image?