Endpoint Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Migration User

Migration UserOct 18, 2015 02:19 PM

dtich

dtichOct 22, 2015 02:43 PM

dtich

dtichApr 21, 2016 11:44 AM

kevin.stallard

kevin.stallardApr 26, 2016 01:17 PM

• 1.  mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Sep 17, 2015 06:37 PM

here we are again, another year, another os update, another pgp snap, crackle, pop. poof.

no worky.

so. hi guys. can we PLEASE PLEASE get an mp for desktop encryption that plays with 10.11.1???

PLEASE PLEASE

THANKS!

• 2.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Sep 23, 2015 05:43 PM

bump.

any symantec mods/tech sup people out there? is there a fix in the works, is there a version that is compatible?

thanks!

• 3.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Sep 23, 2015 06:00 PM
      |   view attached

also guys, trying to install 10.3.2MP10 fails on mac os 10.11.1 with a rather unhelpful message - which is here attached as a png.

and this is the 3rd time, in as many weeks i've tried to install it. and the 2nd installer i've downloaded. so.. it's not that.

what ARE the solutions here??

please.

• 4.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Sep 24, 2015 01:19 PM

As far as I am aware, there are no solutions.  OS X 10.11 has not yet been publicly released, and Symantec policy is that we do not support beta builds of an OS, so 10.11.1 is likely a ways behind.

When Apple changes the way OS X operates, we have to recode.  This is part of why you see limited versions of Encryption Desktop supporting limited versions of OS X, whereas you can use PGP Desktop version 10.0 on a Windows 7 system.  Windows does not make a lot of fundamental changes to the system.

Simply put, it is not a supported configuration, and you will have to wait until such time as a supported version for OS X 10.11.1 is released.  We don't have any information on engineering and/or their progress that we can share at this time.

• 5.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Sep 30, 2015 10:20 AM

thanks mike. for the reply. i very much hope an update is in the works, and soon to be released. i believe there are many others in the same position. please pass on to engineering if you would. thanks

• 6.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Oct 06, 2015 08:05 AM

My auto upgrade kicked in and El Capitan is installed.  I lost all connectivity to my WDE disk?

Need a WDE upgrade ASAP  now that we are  in Production mode of El Capitan

• 7.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Oct 08, 2015 04:41 PM

Is there an update from Symantec yet?  I just licensed the current version and it won't install.

• 8.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Oct 09, 2015 02:06 PM

Still no word from Engineering on this as of yet.  If you have OS X 10.11, or plan on moving to it, please submit a case with support to be escalated as a feature request.

• 9.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Oct 18, 2015 02:19 PM

Impossible to open a case?

Display Language:    

Thank you for contacting Symantec Support. We have upgraded our support portal. This upgrade involves a ONE-TIME registration process. 
    Please complete the information below, which will enable your portal account, and give you direct access on future visits. 

Contact Information
    First Name:

Last Name:

Email Address:

Phone
    Mobile Phone:
    Preferred Language:

Street:

City:

State/Province:

Zip/Postal Code:

How may we contact you? Email
      Phone
    Problem Information
    I have a...  Technical Support Issue
       Non Technical Support Issue

Product
    Support Product Version
    Platform
    Platform Version
    Subject
    Description
    Severity
    Severity  
    Contact Information  
    Company Name
    Company Location

If available, please provide the following:

• 10.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Oct 22, 2015 02:29 PM

09740627 SED is not compatible with latest Mac OS X.

Thanks. Did the support ticket.

Requesting escalation to feature request - make SED compatible with OS X 11.1 (El Capitan). While SED provides enterprise features we appreciate, we might have to go with Sophos, McAfee or Dell/Credant for multi-platform enterprise encryption due to increasing pressure from executive regarding their Mac computers.

• 11.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Oct 22, 2015 02:43 PM

+1. thank you. 

• 12.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Oct 27, 2015 04:46 AM
      |   view attached

We need very urgent a working version of SED for our Mac computers in our organization. Running 10.11 (El Capitan). When will this be out? Please update: when it will be available. Thanks, Asger 

Attachment(s)

pdf
    pgp install error.pdf   185 KB 1 version

• 13.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Nov 24, 2015 10:41 AM

Now the situation is becomming even more worse. We started to receive new MacBook Airs with El Capitan and using the normal downgrade ways, it is not possible downgrade them any more.

• 14.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Nov 24, 2015 01:35 PM

No new updates as of yet.  The best process is still to file a feature request with engineering.  The feature request article is here, and if you subscribe, you should be notified when any changes are made:
    https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.INFO3077.html

• 15.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jan 08, 2016 07:36 AM

PeterHi Mike,

Any updates? I just installed El Capitan and now no PGP. Plezse tell me something is in the works...

Peter

• 16.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jan 08, 2016 08:21 AM

In my organisation we cannot work without encryption, as this is a main tool of communication.

We dumped Encryption Desktop in the bin... changed to: GPG

Free, open souce, easy to install, fully compatible with keyrings etc, nice plugin for Mac Mail etc.

Very nice solution.

Go for this: www.gpgtools.org

/Asger

• 17.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Feb 25, 2016 08:16 AM

Thanks Asger.

I primarily use pgpdisk. Not sure gpg will work with my encrypted virtual disks...

Peter

>>>In my organisation we cannot work without encryption, as this is a main tool of communication.

>>>We dumped Encryption Desktop in the bin... changed to: GPG

>>>Free, open souce, easy to install, fully compatible with keyrings etc, nice plugin for Mac Mail etc.

>>>Very nice solution.

>>>Go for this: www.gpgtools.org

>>>/Asger

• 18.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Feb 25, 2016 05:44 PM

Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.1 has FileVault management for drive encryption.  I think engineering will ultimately add this functionality to Symantec Encryption Desktop.  The basic issue with software drive encryption is that in El Capitan, Apple has locked out root access for applications.  While this does increase security on a basic level, it also denies access to files that an encryption software would need to access (how can a drive be encrypted without being able to modify all of the files?).

Still trying to get some better updates on what exactly is going on.

• 19.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Feb 26, 2016 02:45 AM

Thanks for reply. We use Filevault for WDE.

We are stuck. What is this...?

When will a working version be ready for El Capitan?

I Encryption Desktop about to be discontinued?

Can anybody recommend other encryption systems for mail, files and clipboard?

Working on all platforms.

Regards Asger

• 20.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Mar 10, 2016 01:50 AM

5 months went by and still no update from Symantec! Are you guys serious about customer satisfaction / security?!

/ikh

• 21.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Apr 10, 2016 04:31 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for following up on this.  Just wondering if anything new has materialized.  Would really like to use this to secure our Macs....

Thanks,

Kevin

• 22.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Apr 21, 2016 11:43 AM

guys, guys, guys........????

are you telling me the macos community matters this little to symantec???? you can't even be bothered to make the tiny tweaks necessary to keep endpoint encryption running on latest os's??????

this truly sucks. yet again, i'm amazed.

• 23.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Apr 21, 2016 11:44 AM

*encryption desktop. etc.

• 24.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Apr 21, 2016 12:35 PM

Endpoint Encryption 11.1.0 does currently have the capability to manage FileVault, but Symantec Encryption Desktop has had to undergo a major code rework due to Apple's decisions made in El Capitan's System Integrity Protection.

It is still in the works for release in May pending engineering and QA testing/validation.  As with any release date, it can and will vary depending on testing and validation results.

• 25.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Apr 21, 2016 01:06 PM

mike very happy to hear this. thanks very much for keeping us up to date.

• 26.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Apr 21, 2016 07:38 PM

Yes this is good news, and I look forward to installing it in a few weeks

Dave

• 27.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Apr 22, 2016 03:25 AM

Nice with at reply from Symantec, look forward to this new release.

Thanks

Asger

• 28.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Apr 26, 2016 01:17 PM

Thanks Mike,

Wonderful to hear.

Kevin

• 29.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.
    Best Answer

Posted May 10, 2016 01:25 PM

I have an update for this, unfortunately not a very positive one.  We may not see anything for OS X 10.11.x until June due to some issues with the current branch being developed for OS X.  There were some issues during engineering tests/revisions, and it has been delayed until the next major release, Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.4, which should be out in June.  Again, this is pending engineering and QA testing/validation, so no firm dates are available.

• 30.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted May 10, 2016 01:43 PM

thanks for keeping us updated. please please stay on this, we are eagerly awaiting. i will update/renew as soon as this releases.

thankyou!

• 31.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted May 11, 2016 09:14 AM

Thanks very much for the update Mike. Really appreciate you keeping us in the loop.

• 32.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted May 11, 2016 09:36 AM

Thanks for update.

Waiting ... Our organization has moved to other encryption platform. But need to know when Encryption desktop is working again.

BR Asger

• 33.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted May 17, 2016 04:53 PM

Not sure why this was marked as 'solved' - we're still waiting, yah?

sMarked as Solved by<connect-link class="ng-isolate-scope" link="comment.solvingUser" style="box-sizing: border-box;">_Symantec_</connect-link>

So "Symantec_ is this a whitewash? If not, please remove the solved.

We're in the same position as BR Asger & his organization. You can mark this solved when the update comes out.

• 34.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 06, 2016 12:32 PM

Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.4.0 was released this morning.  It has OS X support for 10.9.5, 10.10.x, and 10.11.4.  Note that 10.11.5 is still under review for some additional issues.

Release notes:
    https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.DOC9316.html

I was attempting to get the "Solved" result removed, but we don't necessarily have all of the other Symantec Employees' usernames on file, and many are more hesitant to use their full name, so I will apologize for that.

Please follow up with your success (or failure) stories here, and I would be happy to pass that information along!  Thanks to you all for your continued patience, input, and keeping the thread civil during a frustrating time!

• 35.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 06, 2016 01:15 PM

note: i have navigated to the dl page, but only see 10.3.2MP13 for dl. how can i find the latest .4??

thanks!!

mike, thanks so much.

can you please post a link for this product, i still find symantec's product portal(s) so confusing, and upgrading/renewing is never a straightforward process. i'd like to make i'm navigating to the correct product for the update. thanks!

• 36.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 06, 2016 01:21 PM

You will need to call Customer Care at 1-800-721-3934 to get an updated serial number for download.  I just found this out myself, none of the existing serials for download will be valid for 10.4.

• 37.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 06, 2016 01:24 PM

ok. i will call. i can't even find .4 for dl ANYWHERE. very confusing web portal. as ever. 

but thanks so much mike, appreciate it!

• 38.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 06, 2016 01:40 PM

i was told by cust serv that '10.4 is not actually released yet. in the next day or two.'

• 39.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 06, 2016 03:29 PM

I'm sorry to hear that.  They are definitely incorrect.  Per the landing page here:
    https://support.symantec.com/content/unifiedweb/en_US/encryption-desktop/encryption-desktop-documentation.62377.html

10.4.release.png

• 40.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 06, 2016 03:42 PM

yep. i saw that page too. but the '10.4' links don't take you to 10.4. can only find 10.3.2MP13... 

• 41.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2016 04:27 AM

You will have to contact Customer Support to obtain the serial number for 3.4/10.4 download

• 42.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 07, 2016 01:47 PM

yes, except they told me that it would just 'appear' on my update page when released..... what is the story here? frustrating.

i will try calling them again..

• 43.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 07, 2016 02:01 PM

SO, the new serial # i got links to a different product. it's very nested and odd, but there is this message on the 3.4 download page:

Symantec Encryption Management Server package contains the files for Symantec Encryption Desktop Windows, Mac and Linux installers.

even though it is the 'sym encrypt management server' product, i guess the dl package also contains desktop for mac.... i am dl'ing now. will see.

thx

ps- the call center people, wherever they are, have had zero understanding of the product lines and barely know the names of them. it's just brute force that gets you anywhere....

• 44.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 07, 2016 02:22 PM

this works. 

wow.

thanks.

a note: the installer unpacks to a folder labeled pgpdesktop9, confusingly.. but, this does contain the 10.4 installer. which works on mac os 10.11.6b i can confirm.

thanks all for the support.

• 45.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 13, 2016 01:41 PM

Sorry to hear about all of the hassle getting through the process to get the installer.

The installer showing as PGPDesktop9 I believe is a legacy product issue that was never updated.  Though the file itself has changed with each release, the actual file is still named pgpdesktop9.  It most likely has to do with some scripting in the installation process that was never changed.

• 46.  RE: mac os x 10.11.1 and pgp..... not working.

Posted Jun 13, 2016 05:56 PM

hi all. 

checking in if this pgpdsktp build has been tested on mac os 10.12b?

assume not as the dev was just released today. can someone post as soon as compatibility is ascertained?

thx!