Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Mac OS X 10.8 + Bronze Assurance for PGP Desktop Professional == abandon ship!

Posted Apr 05, 2013 10:57 AM

Although I paid for an assurance plan with Symantec two years ago, I'm still high and dry for the following :

I have several PGP disk drives that need to be decrypted (e.g., files whose extensions are .pgd) on a Mac OS X 10.8.3 system.

These .pgd drives were created when Symantec PGP Desktop Support was supported on Mac OS X 10.6 four years ago.

When I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7, PGP Desktop Professional was not ready to support it.  I purchased a 2 year subscription to PGP Desktop Professional 10.1 Upgrade Assurance Support in 2011-05-06 in anticipation of Symantec eventually supporting 10.7.  Unfortunately, Mac OS X 10.8 was released before Symantec supported MacOSX 10.7 and I no longer have access to Mac OS X 10.7 systems.  

Symantec PGP Desktop does not support Mac OS X 10.8.x as far as I can tell.  Is there a command-line tool … that works on Mac OS X 10.8 … so as to decrypt PGP drives so that I can move the decrypted contents to a replacement data at rest secured repository?

I welcome direct emails to chase@stumpy.com with advice and suggestions.   Note: if your answer is to another part of the Symantec support site, please include a link as I find it very challenging to navigate and find useful information on the Symantec web sites.

• 2.  RE: Mac OS X 10.8 + Bronze Assurance for PGP Desktop Professional == abandon ship!

Posted Apr 05, 2013 12:08 PM

Please see this Knowledge Base Article regarding Bronze Support. 

Please see this Knowlege Base Article regarding OSX support. 

• 3.  RE: Mac OS X 10.8 + Bronze Assurance for PGP Desktop Professional == abandon ship!

Posted Apr 05, 2013 12:46 PM

Thanks for the info.  Per your pointer on the Bronze,  from my perspective, whether I have Bronze, Silver or Gold, Symantec's lag on supporting Mac OS X essentially renders my use of the product immaterial -- I'm not particularly happy with Symantec after it purchased PGP.

Also, I should have clarified, I do not want to fully install PGP Desktop -- I'm not encrypting my hard drive.  My goal here is to escape with my data -- and hence, I'm seeking a command line tool only to decrypt the .pgd files.

• 4.  RE: Mac OS X 10.8 + Bronze Assurance for PGP Desktop Professional == abandon ship!

Posted Apr 30, 2013 01:00 AM

Hello, I'm very confused

When I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.7, PGP Desktop Professional was not ready to support it.  I purchased a 2 year subscription to PGP Desktop Professional 10.1 Upgrade Assurance Support in 2011-05-06 in anticipation of Symantec eventually supporting 10.7.  Unfortunately, Mac OS X 10.8 was released before Symantec supported MacOSX 10.7 and I no longer have access to Mac OS X 10.7 systems.  

Symantec PGP Desktop does not support Mac OS X 10.8.x as far as I can tell.  Is there a command-line tool … that works on Mac OS X 10.8 … so as to decrypt PGP drives so that I can move the decrypted contents to a replacement data at rest secured repository?

the article that Tom Mc has shared

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH174563

Indicates that we have had OS X 10.7 support since PGP Desktop 10.2.0 MP1. We have had OS X 10.8 support since PGP Desktop 10.2.1 MP4. In order to have support for PGP Virtual Disk (the application responsible for handling your PGD files). Based on this need it sounds like Symantec Encryption Desktop Professional (new name for what was formerly PGP Desktop Professional) is probably more than you need. You could probably just purchase Symantec Encryption Desktop Storage, Symantec Encryption Desktop Corporate, or Symantec Drive Encryption but i'm not sure which of those versions is licensed on Mac OS X (Apple) hardware.  Your best option there would be to talk to Symantec sales at 1-877-294-5255.

As far as having a command line client to decrypt PGD files. We haven't had that as a seperate feature since PGP Desktop 9.x version. it is bundled with Symantec Drive Encryption (formerly PGP Whole Disk Encryption) today.

• 5.  RE: Mac OS X 10.8 + Bronze Assurance for PGP Desktop Professional == abandon ship!

Posted Apr 30, 2013 01:03 AM

FYI, if you install the trialware version you should be able to get full functionality for a trial period of time (to migrate the data) as well.

http://www.symantec.com/products-solutions/families/trialware-popup.jsp?fid=encryption