Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Mailbox restore with: BackupExec 12.5 & Exchange 2007

Created: 24 Sep 2010 | 5 comments

Hi Everyone,

We are backing up our mail server for quit sometime, recently we needed to restore a users mailbox which is on tape.  But unfortunate it fails with the following error:

(Server: "******") (Job: "Restore 00360") Restore 00360 -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted or because the Recovery Storage Group is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager to check the configuration of the Recovery Storage Group and the mount status of the databases.

So i check the pre requests for making a Exchange restore job, the following settings are configured according to the manuals.

- Backup agent is running on our Exchange server.

- Exchange admin tools 2007 SP2 are installed on our backup server.

- Exchange MAPI is installed on the Exchange server

- Our backup services account has the following permissions: LocalAdmin on the Exchange server, Domain Admin, default logon account in BackupExec, System Account in BackupExec

- Backup Services account also has its own mailbox, is not hidden from address list and can send/receive mails

I configure the restore job to redirect the restore to the First Storage Group and then to the Recovery Storage Group. After i run the job i will receive the error.

So i have a few questions:

1) Do i need to mount the DB in the Recovery Storage Group to be able to perform the backup? The error implies i shouldn't

2) Our Exchange server runs on Win2008  64Bit  and our backup runs on Win2003 32Bit, does that make any difference?

3) The Admin tool on the Exchange server is V08.01.0393.001, while on the backup server it is V08.02.0176.002. Both are SP2 but do they need to be the exact same version?

4) Does anyone know what i am overlooking ore doing wrong, can someone help me please

Kind regards,

Jos Severijnse

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Joz13's picture

BTW:

Our backup services account also is Organizational Admin in de exchange admin console

Ruchi's picture

If you are restoring individual messages from your information store and at time time there is a recovery storage group created on your exchange server, Backup exec may give you this error

Ruchi's picture

Try this

On your exchange server

Open regedit.exe
Browse to HKLM:Software\Symantec\Backup Exec\Engine\ESE
Click on Edit - New - DWORD Value
Type Value_name = "ignore mount state"
Value = DWORD(1)
4. Recycle Backup Exec services on both servers.
5. Run the restore job.

PLEASE ENSURE YOU BACKUP THE REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES TO IT

Ken Putnam's picture

Is this an officially supported workaround?

What happens if someone mistakenly submits a Full Exchange Restore of the mounted Storage Group(s)

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

Joz13's picture

Thanks, I will test ure reg hack later on this week :)