Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Mass upgrading / installing silverlight to aprox 1000 computers.

Posted Dec 19, 2012 02:15 AM

Hello.

Silverlight is giving me a real headache.
    Atm all our win7/XP computers have Microsoft silverlight 4.0.

We need to upgrade to silverlight 5.1 (5.1.10411.0 to be politically correct), but alas, its not as simple as it usally is with software

Usally i just make a rule that uninstalls say previous version, and installs new version.
    But since the MSI Product Code's are the same for all silverlight versions, a "typical" 2 part policy is just creating a merry-go-round loop.

As you can see, this task will everytime the altiris does its policy checks, it will "detect" Silverlight version 4x because they share MSI product code, even tho version 5.x have been installed, and uninstall, and reinstall everytime it cycles.

Have anyone of you already upgrade silverlight on your computers ?
    If so - I would LOVE to know how you did it. Did you make a script, if so, could you post it ?

This might be an easy thing for you guys, but im still rather new to Altiris and learning by dooing, but this one have stopped me dead in my tracks =)

• 2.  RE: Mass upgrading / installing silverlight to aprox 1000 computers.

Posted Dec 19, 2012 05:23 AM

You don't need to uninstall the previous version of Silverlight, just install the new one over the top.

Add (AND) a file detection to your Detection rule to detect the file version of Silverlight.exe.

• 3.  RE: Mass upgrading / installing silverlight to aprox 1000 computers.

Posted Dec 19, 2012 07:18 AM

Ah ok.
    But what file do you suggest i put detection rule against ?
    Just choose a random file under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\5.1.10411.0\ ?
    Since that catalogue is genereted during installation ?

Okey tried that. And I might be dooing it wrong, but i made this:

When the policy runs, it should see that THAT file is there, and then detect it. But it doesnt. I says "Not present" and runs the policy in its full. (Not sure if that is what it says in english, but translated from norwegian.)

• 4.  RE: Mass upgrading / installing silverlight to aprox 1000 computers.

Posted Dec 19, 2012 11:56 AM

You're looking for a shortcut, I'd look for Standard Rule > File Version of maybe sllauncher.exe

• 5.  RE: Mass upgrading / installing silverlight to aprox 1000 computers.

Posted Dec 20, 2012 01:43 AM

Heh - I guess your right.
    Bill Gates said it nicely. "When looking to hire a new person, I always hire the most lazy person. As they will always find the easiest solotioun to problems" =)

I ended running detection on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Silverlight\ Version:5.1.10411.0

Can't belive i didnt think of it earlier.

Oh well, learning by dooing might take longer, but atleast it'll stick =)

• 6.  RE: Mass upgrading / installing silverlight to aprox 1000 computers.
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 20, 2012 08:06 AM

Don't forgett to add detection for 32-bit silverlight on a 64-bit OS if that is applicable for your environment.

AND

OR

Expression type: Registry Key Version
    Registry key path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Silverlight
    Registry entry: Version
    Version: >= 5.1.10411.0

Expression type: Registry Key Version
    Registry key path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Silverlight
    Registry entry: Version
    Version: >= 5.1.10411.0

• 7.  RE: Mass upgrading / installing silverlight to aprox 1000 computers.

Posted Dec 20, 2012 08:59 AM

oO

Thank you, didnt think about the people who had installed the x64 version.

*thumbs up*