Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Maxtor external drive not seen by PGP Desktop 10.1.1

Created: 24 Mar 2011 • Updated: 24 Mar 2011 | 4 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have an old Maxtor One Touch drive that I decided to use for Time Machine backups on my Mac. All of the KB entries that I found are quite old and not appropriate to my problem. Let me start with my configuration:

MacBook Pro computer with Maxtor One Touch II external HD, connected by FW400. I am running OS 10.6.7 with PGP Desktop 10.1.1

My problem is that I cannot see this drive on PGP to do a WDE. Is there a problem with drive compatibility with this old drive? If so, I can switch to a newer drive. Thanks.

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

mallardduck's picture

The drive may be in the wrong partition type - repartition - not just erase it (which will destroy all information on it), and set the partition type to GPT/GUID.

Tom Frenock's picture

Well I should not have asked the question before trying one last desperate measure. Yes, erasing the disk fixed my problem. I had verified it and all looked OK, but it had something that was not recognized by PGP. Problem resolved by originator. Maybe this entry can be a lesson leared to others.

Just noticed recommendation above that must have posted while writing this input. I did not try the repartition, so not sure if it would work. I am just starting over on my Time Machine backup, and it should be done soon. After, I will execute the WDE. Thanks for the suggestion. Erasing the old backups is not an issue in my case.

SOLUTION
Tom Mc's picture

Maybe you should have posted anyway.  For me, it seems that posting my issue in a forum seems to stimulate my thinking about it; I often soon then come up with the resolution.

When you consider your issue resolved, please click Mark As Solution on the most helpful response.

Search the Knowledge Base &

isopepper's picture

Yes, we all learn from your posting, even if you solve it yourself. Plus as Tom Mc says, its a good 'thinking' tool. Can't tell you how many times I've walked into my buddy's office to explain my conundrum, then cut myself off mid explanation as the light dawned. Good stuff.

I came onto this forum today because I thought I owed the PGP WDE Mac forum a contribution. My issue was similar, but not quite the same as yours.

Yesterday, I was decrypting my "old Maxtor One Touch drive that I decided to use for Time Machine backups on my Mac." Of course, decrypting 500Gb takes a while, so the end of the day came and I paused my decryption.

This morning, the drive keeps telling me I can't mount it, because it doesn't have the right passphrase. I open PGP Desktop and click (Resume) on the encryption. I get told I don't have the right passphrase.

Hmm. I decide I'll go to PGP Universal and get the whole disk recovery token. Um, there isn't one for this disk? That's weird.

I look again at PGP Desktop and notice this disk no longer has a user assigned to it. I'm thinking, if it doesn't know the passphrase for the key, there's no way it will let me create a user. However, I give it a try (recreating the exact user and passphrase as I had before). 

Decryption resumes.

I'm pleased but a little worried by this... how did it get access to the key to decrypt the drive? *stumped*

4hrs 59 min to go.