Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

MDT reports return code 1 for Symantec Endpoint Protection x86 install

Created: 26 Mar 2010 • Updated: 02 Oct 2010 | 8 comments

I'm working on creating my x86 Windows 7 reference image.  I already have a x64 Windows 7 reference image that works great.  While trying to install Symantec Endpoint Protection MDT is showing an error code of 1.  The strange thing is I'm installing using the exact same method as I did with the x64 image.  The only difference is a different setup.exe for the different platform.

The next strange thing is that to me it looks like it installed successfully.  The application works and as far as I can tell everything is normal.  For some reason the installer must be returning the code of 1 to MDT though.  It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling when I do a reference build deployment and see it come back saying Deployment Completed Successfully with zero errors and zero warnings.

To troubleshoot I tried turning on logging and debugging for Windows while I have MDT install the app using a staterestore task sequence.  It produced the same results returning an error code of 1.  After going through the extremely long log file I had a hard time finding what the problem was.

Any ideas?  Thanks

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Grant_Hall's picture

Do you think you could post the Symantec log file for us to take a look at. You can attach the whole thing as a .txt file or just post the 10 or so lines above the first return code 3 (if there is one). 

Thanks
Grant

Please don't forget to mark your thread solved with whatever answer helped you : )

Zouleous's picture

I'll attach the whole thing since I'm not sure what part you're referring to.  I opened it using SMS Trace and it highlighted many areas in red that caught my eye, but I'm unsure what parts are actually a problem since it wasn't really meant to be opened with SMS Trace.

AttachmentSize
SEP_INST.txt 4.47 MB
Rafeeq's picture

its installed perfectly fine

Product: Symantec Endpoint Protection -- Installation operation completed successfully.
are you removing any shortcuts or something after symantec is installed?
check eventviewer you might get the reason for it.
Zouleous's picture

No I'm not deleting any shortcuts.  I'll see if I can check the eventlog.

PeterWendell's picture

I experience the same behavior and have not found a way to eliminate it. It is purely cosmetic, however, and SEP is installed correctly. My theory is that the SEP install is returning a 1 because it requires a reboot to finish. Of course your MDT task sequence is taking care of that.

Zouleous's picture

Here are the events logged:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MsiInstaller
Date:          3/30/2010 11:14:47 AM
Event ID:      11707
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          MININT-SUBLE4C\Administrator
Computer:      MININT-SUBLE4C
Description:
Product: Symantec Endpoint Protection -- Installation operation completed successfully.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MsiInstaller
Date:          3/30/2010 11:14:47 AM
Event ID:      1033
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          MININT-SUBLE4C\Administrator
Computer:      MININT-SUBLE4C
Description:
Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Symantec Endpoint Protection. Product Version: 11.0.5002.333. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Symantec Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        MsiInstaller
Date:          3/30/2010 11:14:47 AM
Event ID:      1042
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      MININT-SUBLE4C
Description:
Ending a Windows Installer transaction: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\Symantec\Symantec AntiVirus.msi. Client Process Id: 1860.

Those are all the MSI installer events posted.  There are a few events logged after that which just state that Symantec Endpoint Protection started successfully and then a few events showing it entering some registry information.  No failures that I can see.