Video Screencast Help

Media Set Not Appendable : Slots Fail to Mount (HP StorageWorks 1/8 and Backup Exec 2010)

Created: 28 Jul 2013 • Updated: 05 Aug 2013 | 32 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi Fellow Members

I configured a Backup Job to run during the weekend. The Job is configured to backup a small NAS Server.

1. The backup was targeted to a Media Set containing 3 Tapes of 400 GB each.
  2. The 3 tapes are in Slots 6, 7 and 8 respectively.
  3. The Media Set has an Overwrite Protection of 27 Days.
  4. The Media Set has an Append Period of 2 Days
  5. The Job started on 25th July at 21:00 hours and the Tape from Slot 6 was mounted.
  6. On 26th July at 09:09:00 hours the log file states a "Drive and Media Mount Requested". What I understand according to this log entry is that Slot 7 was never mounted after Slot 6 was full.
  7. Under Devices Slots 7 and 8 show up as "Not Appendable" while slot 6 shows up as "Not Appendable (Media Full)".
  8. I am struggling to understand that if the Append Period is 2 Days and the Job started on 25th July at 21:00:00 hours , why was the Tape from Slot 7 not mounted on 26th July at 09:09:00 (as per the log).

If i have made a configuration error - can someone please point it out to me ?

Thanks a Lot !

Operating Systems:

Comments 32 CommentsJump to latest comment

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

I will reply this here as its a fresh query from

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sym...

Hi Kunal. Thank you for your response.

Let me see if i have understood what you're suggesting:

• I have three Tapes in 3 Slots that form a Media Set.
  • According to you I should remove overwrite protection on the Media Set if i want the backup to Span across these 3 tapes/slots ?
  • If the above is true - at what point does BE start overwriting the Tapes ? Is it after the full backup is complete and the next scheduled job starts the following weekend which means it will treat the 3 slots as 1 Block ?

Thanks a Lot !
======

Overwrite protection kicks if after the job is complete, if the tapes are protected before the job starts BE does not overwrite them, hence before the job kicks it make sure you have scratch /fresh/overwritable tapes in the slots, after thte job is done the tapes will be moved by BE to the respective media set

BE will overwrite the tapes which are scratch or recycled (protection expired)

1st day > keep 3 fresh tapes in 3 slots

1 slot is overwritten 

2nd slot is overwritten (due to span)

3rd slot is untouched

2nd day

1st slot is not touched  (protected for 27 days / non appendable as its full)

2nd slot ( protected for 27 days / can append if he has space)

3rd slot ( can be overwritten if job spans from 2nd to 3rd) post this tape in 3rd slot gets protected for 27 day as per the media set specified in the job

Edit

BE will start overwriting the tape after the overwrite protection period is over or you have manually moved the tapes from you 27 days protection media set to the scrach media set

Overwrite protection period starts after the last append done to the tape

Technical Support

Symantec

SOLUTION
Mac1983's picture

Thanks Kunal!

I have allocated The Media Devices on Slot 7 and 8 to the Scratch Media Set.

BE has allocated Media back to Slot 7 and Backup has resumed.

I shall come back shortly with a few Questions that i may have regarding this but for now i'll  monitor the backup, make sure it's on track.

Thanks !

MusSeth's picture

You dont have to move media manually to scratch media each and every time...with robotic library if you have media sets configured correctly most of the task can be automated....
Please have a look at the article below which explains media management and different media sets and media management with robotic library....
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73435

Hope this helps...

pkh's picture

You got to make sure that you have sufficient overwritable tape BEFORE your backup job starts.  Go to the Media tab and All Media.  You will see the Overwrite protection until column.  This will tell you when the tape can be overwritten.  When you change the OPP in your media set, the date and time in this column will change immediately and you can have immediate feedback on how your OPP change is affecting your media.

Mac1983's picture

Thanks Guys for your Support !

I looked into the backups today and i realised that the Tapes in Slots 6/7/8 were not enough to complete the backup.

1. All the 3 Slots are allocated to a Device Pool named HP2 [0006..0008] to which the backup Job is configured to write.
  2. Slot 5 is allocated to a Device Pool HP2 [0005..0005]
  3. The Tape in Slot 5 is currently blank and is in the Scratch Media Set.
  4. I would like to Add the Tape on Slot 5 to the device pool [0006..0008] so that it looks something like [0005..0008] BEFORE I re-run the backup job again. Looking at the compression ratio - 4 tapes should suffice
  5. How do i accomplish this ? I am unable to perform ADD Device operation on the [0006..0008] pool - says There are no devices available. (does the scratch media 0005 not count as available or am i missing something?)

Thanks a Lot !

Mac1983's picture

Thanks Kunal.

I have reconfigured the partition. Will start the backup shortly.

Will keep the post updated.

Thanks a lot !

Colin Weaver's picture

Also be aware that if you have 2 partially used tapes that are both appendable and start an append job on one of them, if it fills that first tape, it cannot append to the second one, as we can only overwrite subsequent tapes within a single job.

Mac1983's picture

Hi Colin

I allocated subsequents Media from 0005 through to 0008 to one Partition. I then targeted the backup Job onto this partition.

Also, I allocated the tapes to scratch media for BE to automatically allocate them to the Media Set against the backup job (there are no other Jobs running/scheduled until this completes).

It is sort of urgent so i havent had the time to 'automate' stuffs but i will look into it in the future.

Thanks!

pkh's picture

You should not be using partitions if you have not sorted out your OPP and AP properly.  If your job run out of overwritable tapes in the targeted partition, it will fail even though there are ovewritable tapes in the other partitions.  BE will not fetch tapes from other partitions.

Mac1983's picture

Hi PKH

Thanks for your response.

The scenario is that i am currently looking to complete the backup of my NAS server as soon as possible. This is because we do not hold any recent backups at the moment which is the primary reason why we are treating this task urgently.

Having said that, there are no other jobs running on our BE Server apart from the NAS Backup and in order to accomplish this i calculated the number of Tapes required (four) and have allocated them to the scratch media for BE to pick 'em up automatically. I am using it only as a temp solution for the reasons mentioned above.

Having read your post i am beginning to think if the configuration for the Media Set is adequate for the backup job to complete? OPP is set to 27 Days and AP is set to 2 Days. From the looks of it the Job will take around 3 Days to complete.

Do you think the configuration poses a problem considering the AP is 2 Days for the Media Set ?

Thanks a lot !

pkh's picture

AP starts from when the tape is first overwritten.  If your last job starts within 2 days of the start of the first job, then your AP is o.k.  Otherwise, you may need to lengthen it.

Mac1983's picture

Hi PKH

Thanks for your response!

Its only one backup job thats running so i guess we should be safe considering the fact that there are no other Jobs that would be writing to the Target Partition / Tapes ?

[EDIT] I should also mention that once this Backup Job completes - the plan is to eject the Tapes from the 4 slots and put it offsite.

Thanks!

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

That is good.congrats..if no jobs are running this is the best approach and its an easy strategy..add 4 tapes which can be overwritten to the slots,,,run the job

Technical Support

Symantec

pkh's picture

Yes.  Since your job is using so many tapes, I would suggest that your job specify overwrite and don't append to any tape.  In this case, you can set the AP to 1 hour.

You cannot "eject" the tapes.  For tape libraries, you need to export the tapes and you need to enable the mailslot.  With 4 tapes, it might be easier to open the magazine and remove the tapes manually.

Mac1983's picture

Thanks PKH and Kunal

PKH - Yes i would be performing an Export Job from BE. Once that completes i would be ejecting the Magazine manually from the HP 1/8 Autoloader and remove the tapes (and put in new ones).

One question though - while the backups are running, i see that the Tapes on Slot 5 and Slot 6 have been written to and BE is now writing on Slot 7.

Media in Slot 5 shows a compression ratio of 2:1 while the Media in Slot 6 shows a compression ratio of only 1.1:1. Can you tell me whats the cause behind this ? Is the compression controlled by the Hardware or is there a setting within BE that we can tweak (with minimum risks involved) ?

Thanks a Lot !

pkh's picture

If you have an export job, then the tapes would be placed in the mail or I/O slots.  Did you enable these slots in your library?  To remove the tapes, you open the mail or I/O slots.  You do not open your magazines after an export job.  It defeats the purpose of having an export job.

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

Hardware compression is done by tape drives

You can only enable it in BE in the tape drive properties and from the job properties

Nothing much from BE side can be done for this except for keeping the BE software updated so it will update the tape drivers to the latest

Technical Support

Symantec

Mac1983's picture

Hi PKH and Kunal

Thanks a lot for your response.

PKH - I'll look into enabling mailslots a little bit later. I have an urgent question for you guys at the moment.

The Backup Job that i was running 'failed' with the following error: e000fe36 - Corrupt Data Encountered.

I would like to give you a detailed analysis of the Job History:

1. Set Detail Information - Backup. Set Type: Backup. Set Status: Completed (does this mean that the backup actually completed or did it fail?)
  2. Agent Used: No, AOFO Option Used: No
  3. It then provides a list of files that were skipped and corrupt

1. Set Detail Information - Verify. Set Type: Verify. Set Status: Completed

I am not sure wether the backup has actually failed or is it just saying that because it could'nt backup a given set of files ?

Appreciate Your Help !

Thanks a lot !

pkh's picture

If you do not use AOFO when backing up files, you are likely to get corrupted files because they are opened during the backup.  Any reason why you are not using AOFO when backing up files?

If your job is also backing up databases, like SQL and Exchange, you should split it into 2 jobs.  One with AOFO on for backing up files and the other with AOFO on for backing up databases.

SOLUTION
Mac1983's picture

Hi PKH

Thanks for your quick response.

I am not an experienced or regular backup admin and i have a lot to learn. Please excuse my silly mistakes or questions.

I can see AOFO Option is turned off so that means i will have to enable it.

Question -

1. Should i leave it at the deault setting of 'automatically select open file technology' or should i specify Symantec or Microsoft's VSS ?
  2. The Log which says "Agent Used: No" - should be normal cause i believe the NAS device is not capable of running remote agents as its only a storage device ?
  3. Also, to address the elephant in the room - I do need to RESTART my backup job from scratch again - correct :-( ?

Thanks a Lot !

Mac1983's picture
  1. I have set the AOFO to Automatic.
  2. I have erased the tapes and allocated them to scratch.
  3. Restarted the Job now.
  4. Fingers crossed !

Thanks a lot !

Mac1983's picture

Thanks Kunal and PKH!

I have run into a new problem now.

The backup failed again with a new error code: e0008488 - Access Is Denied

Agent Used: No

AOFO Used: Yes

1. Weird thing is it does'nt state 'what' was it that the access was denied to ? It does'nt give me any file names under Set Detail Information - Backup.
  2. It only gives me a set of filenames which were either 'skipped' or detected as 'corrupt' as similar to the last time when I ran into error: e000fe36 - Corrupt Data Encountered. But the error is differrent this time as mentioned.
  3. Under the Devices Tab i See that 2 Tapes have been written to completely. The 3rd tape is almost 90% full but did not complete (probably due to the error) and the 4th tape is still in the Scratch Media Set. This is the exact behaviour i observed the last time backup exec threw me the error e000fe36 - Corrupt Data Encountered.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks a Lot !

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

Please log this in a thread

The backup failed again with a new error code: e0008488 - Access Is Denied and close this thread

Technical Support

Symantec

Mac1983's picture

Hi Kunal

Will the history that this thread contains not be of any relevance to the problem i am facing now ?

If not, then i will open a new thread.

Thanks a lot !

Kunal.Mudliyar's picture

Mac,

Looks like the tape configuration is all sorted

The access denied issue needs to be looked in a totally new approach.

Hope you understand

Thanks.

Technical Support

Symantec

Mac1983's picture

I was trying to close the thread with 2 acceptable solutions. I may have ended doing something altogether differrent when i tried 'split solutions'.

Apologies.

CraigV's picture

...that is how you split the solution. But an admin needs to approve it.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...