Merge data (tape catalogs, indexes) from BE 2010 to new 2012 servers
Some similar requests give me the impression that the following cannot be done. I'm hoping someone can tell me I'm wrong.
I have two backup systems running in parallel: one is a standalone BE 2010 media server with an attached tape library; the other is a 2012 CASO infrastructure with two media servers. I want to attach the tape library from the 2010 server to one of the 2012 media servers and retire the 2010 server.
How can I migrate the tape catalogs etc. from the 2010 server to BE 2012? I don't need to migrate the jobs, we will create new backup jobs on 2012, but I do need to be able to perform historical restores from the tapes written by the 2010 server over the last few years. There are many tapes; recalling and cataloging all the tapes would be a big job.
For example, would this work:
- Upgrade the BE2010 server (let's call it old-server) to BE2012
- Add old-server to CASO and centralise (distribute?) the database & catalogs
- Move the tape library to one of the other BE2012 media servers
- Test that the new server can do restores from old tapes
- Remove old-server (will this remove the catalogs etc.?)