Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Microsoft office 2010 Installation

Created: 04 Oct 2012 • Updated: 07 Oct 2012 | 14 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi

I am trying to create silent installatin package of microsoft office 2010. I did necessary changes in config.xml also use the below command line

\\server\share\setup.exe /config \\server\share\ProPlus.WW\config.xml

but still i am not getting success. Can any one help me out

Comments 14 CommentsJump to latest comment

Andrew_Shishkov's picture

Hi,

The easiest way to configure silent installation of MS Office 2010 is to create MSP file using Office Customization Tool. Check this article describing how to do it: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx#Setup.

Thanks,

Andrew.

CBZ9104's picture

Hi Andrew

I already gone through this article and used command line if i use the above command line it shows Failure return code - 30023

andykn101's picture

That indicates a problem with your installation source.

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

Connect Etiquette: Please "Mark as Solution" posts that fix your problem.

andykn101's picture

The Symantec Management Agent on a client PC runs in the context of the Local Built-in System account, this has no access to network shares. I don't like installing across a network so i always create a Package in the console to go with the command line.

Otherwise you can use the Advanced options of the Task or Policy to have it run using a domain account that has rights to \\server\share.

One gotcha I found was that you always saw the Office 2010 splash screen even with all silent options selected unless the config.xml was in the root of the package with setup.exe.

Authorised Symantec Consultant (ASC) with Endpoint Management Limited, an Authorised Symantec Delivery Provider based in the UK.

CBZ9104's picture

Hi andykn101

I am not using network share path, The package is stored on NS server locally

andykn101's picture

Have you changed the command line to remove the \\server\share stuff?

Can you log on to the machine locally and run setup.exe from the locally cached copy in the Altiris Agent?

CBZ9104's picture

Hi

I removed \\server\share and tried but does not work

also i check by setup.exe as well as setup.exe/adminfile, setup.exe/admin but it showing promt that config.xml not found

andykn101's picture

What happens when it "does not work"? Do you get the same error code?

If you put the config.xml in the same directory as setup.exe that should stop that problem.

andykn101's picture

What happens if you put the config.xml in the same directory as setup.exe?

Can you run setup.exe manually?

CBZ9104's picture

I didn't try to run setup.exe manually but if I run setup.exe through software delivery using as a command line it gives errro config.xml not found. Necessary changes i done i config.xml and save it is out side of proplus.ww folder

CBZ9104's picture

Hi

Finally I got success to install MS OFFICE 2010 silent installation through software delivery.

I used below command line and got success

setup /adminfile Updates/MyFile.MSP

SOLUTION
CBZ9104's picture

The installation got successfull but it giver failure return code 3010 which means restart required.

But if I restart the system after completion of installation in report it still gives failure

andykn101's picture

You need to edit the Install command in the Software Release to add 0, 3010 as success codes. You could add in 1641 as well; if you explicitly define success codes you have to put the '0' in too.