Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Microsoft SQL backup for Backup Exec 2012

Created: 17 Nov 2012 • Updated: 10 Dec 2013 | 10 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi All,

I am new to backup Exec 2012. I am trying to take the Microsoft SQL Backup with different options available with respect to consistency check(full checkup including index, excluding index, and physical media).

Can anyone guide me about the steps to how to proceed with each options in SQL. Also should i need to install any agent in order to take backup.

Thanks in advance.

Comments 10 CommentsJump to latest comment

ZeRoC00L's picture

The Backup Exec Agent for Applications and Databases needs to be installed (and licensed) on the Backup Exec Media server. On the SQL server, install the BE Remote Agent (push it from Backup Exec).

Then the Backup Exec Media server will recognize that SQL is installed on the remote server, and you will be able to select the databases for backup. For the best practices see this technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74429

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

pkh's picture

In the job details section, you can specify consistency checks to be done before or after the backup.  This will ensure that your database is consistent.

Vengada's picture

Hi,

Can someone point me the location where can i download the SQL Agent in order to perform SQL Backup

Thanks in advance.

AmolB's picture

Can someone point me the location where can i download the SQL Agent in order to perform SQL Backup

You need to install Remote Agent for Windows on the SQL server and Agent for App and Database 

license on the media server. Its the license which enable Remote Agent to backup SQL database.

Vengada's picture

Hi,

I have downloaded the Backup Exec 2012 trail download from Symantec site for 60 days. I have installed the Server on the separate server. i have installed the SQL Enterprise Edition 2008 on the client side.

My question is

> Now i need to install the Remote Agent for Windows on the Client Side where SQL is installed.

and

> Agent for App and Database  license on the media server. Can i use the trial version for SQL backup with different consistency check

pkh's picture

You would need to install the remote agent on the SQL server.

The trail version allows you full access to a lot of features, including the SQL agent for 60 days.  After 60 days, you would need to install an Agent for Databases and Applications licence for your SQL backup/restore to work.

Vengada's picture

It seems most of the agent comes with the Backup Exec 2012 package itself.

But for Microsoft SQL it Seems, only SQL Express is there, not the agent. Can so me one point me the location where i can download the SQL agent for BE 2012.

AmolB's picture

But for Microsoft SQL it Seems, only SQL Express is there, not the agent

Could you explain the above.

Can so me one point me the location where i can download the SQL agent for BE 2012.

Either push install or manually install Remote agent for Windows on the SQL server.

There are no seperate installables for SQL agent.

SOLUTION
pkh's picture

Although we talk about SQL agent, there is no SQL agent to download and install.  The capabilities to backup SQL databases, Exchange databases, etc. are built into the RAWS (remote agent for Windows system).  RAWS is the only physical agent that you need to install on your SQL machine.

To enable RAWS to backup SQL databases, you would need to install an Agent for Databases and Applications licence on the media server.  Once this licence is installed and you have enabled the SQL database option, you can back up SQL databases.

If you are using the trial version of BE, the SQL database option can be selected without an Agent for Databases and Applications licence.  You would have 60 days for your trial.  After the trial period, you would need to install an Agent for Databases and Applications licence if you want to continue to backup your SQL databases.

Vengada's picture

Hi All,

Special Thanks to  pkh and Amolzerocool for the guidance in setting up the SQL.

I have few questions with respect to consistency check before backup - around 4 options are available - physical media, full checkup excluding indexes, full checkup including indexes, none.

Question 1 What will be the difference between them.

Question 2 I tired selecting the Adventure database while backing up, only the adventures with the backup option as full checkup excluding indexes. But when i restore the database it lists the adventure database, along with master, model, msdb, report server, pls find the attachemnt.Does it is related to indexes.

Question 3 How can i verify the index options in backup

Experts request you to guide me in the options of BE 2012.

restore.jpg