Video Screencast Help

Migrate Backup Exec 2012 to another Server

Created: 14 Mar 2013 • Updated: 16 Mar 2013 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi All,

Can anyone clear something up for me?  In TECH129826 it explains when migrating Backup Exec to another server with a different Windows OS version, with the DATA folder, "copy all BEX files to the Backup Exec\data folder (only BEX files)."  What are BEX files or what aren't BEX files?  I see xml files with BEX in their name, security certificate files, db3, dat and bak files.  

tnx....

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

The BEX*.XML files are the job logs for jobs that have run, if you don't migrate them then you won't be able to open the job logs - admittedly you may not need to open them ever again so may not be critical to your migration

BTW the drive letter and path to where they are has to be the same on the new server as the path to them is hard coded against each job history record inside the Backup Exec database. I suspect the document does not mention that.

The certificate files etc need recreating on the new server anyway.

And the document should discuss how to copy the SQL database - and therefore cover what you need from the .BAK, .MDF and .LDF files

ksdst1's picture

Thanks you for the reply.  Do you know what I need to copy over from the DATA and CATALOG folders in order for the Media Set information from the original configuration to be transfered over to the new one?

Colin Weaver's picture

Media set information and media inventory is held inside the BEDB (SQL database)

The catalogs contain detail of what was backed  up and where it is held in the backup media - as such you need all the catalogs folder (unless you like running long catalog jobs)

SOLUTION