Video Screencast Help

Migrate SEPM 11.7 to SEPM 12.1

Created: 15 Aug 2012 | 8 comments

Reading the documentation to be able to perform this migration and I have some questions.

Tech163602 says: Disable scheduled scans, disable LiveUpdate, turn off Tamper Protection, turn off Roaming, Unlock server groups, and uninstall/delete Reporting server.

Where do I disable scheduled scans? HOWTO5546 says to right click a client group and go to all tasks. I don't have that option.

As a matter of fact, all of the tech docs refer to things I am not seeing in SEPM. Am I looking at the wrong docs?

I have a small environment (approx 200 clients) so we only have 1 SEPM server.  How do I remove/delete the reporting server? I don't believe I have a separate reporting server. How do I check?

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

VJware's picture

Many steps outlined in the upgrade doc apply to SAV & not SEP...and these steps are outlined as such urn off Roaming, Unlock server groups, and uninstall/delete Reporting server....

start off with the steps outlined in the section Upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager as outlined in the above KB..

amantica's picture

That makes more sense. Thanks so much.

How do I validate my database backup?

Ashish-Sharma's picture

Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.x: Best Practices for Disaster Recovery with the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102333

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

Check this article prior to upgrade.

SEP 11.x to SEP 12.1 Upgrade process graphical overview

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/s...

Note: The SEP 12.1 SEPM upgrade installer requires three times the current database size (sem5.db) if upgrading from pre-12.1 SEPM with the embedded database only.

Prior to upgrade take existing SEPM backup with the help of disaster recovery article.

Chetan Savade
Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

SameerU's picture

Hi

Question : After taking database backup . Proceeding further with the up-gradation  will it over write the same Database file of the SQL server for 12.1  or else i  need to create another database instance for SEP 12.1

Ans : No need to create another database instance, it will over write the same database

Question : After upgrading SEP to 12.1 is the client version of SEP 11.06 is compatible and will it work properly with SEP 12.1 .

Ans : Yes it is compatible, SEPM 12.1 can manage SEP 11.0.6 clients, however as earlier said it's good practice/recommended to have both SEPM and SEP clients on same version

Question : How can we do the client up-gradation what are the procedure required . What are the necessary steps needed to do up-gradation

Ans : you will have to consider few factors while doing client upgrade, for eg. network bandwidth, client reboot schedule, method of upgrade.

Question : Can we do the client and server  up-gradation which are residing at different location  through centralized  console  

Ans : Yes, but again consider above options

Question : It is mandatory to restart the systems after up-gradation of client to 12.1

Ans : Yes it is mandatory.

Your hardware configuration looks good but disk space can be concern in the future.

You should have more free space on SEPM installed drive and database drive.

4GB free space won't be enough in the future. Increase your disk space before upgrade.

I hope it will help you !!

Regards

Baljeet's picture

Dear,

Below is the link to the document we discussed. If you have additional questions or concerns, please call us back and reference your case number.
As discuss on call You can go ahead and Upgrade from 11.0.7MP1 TO 12.1 Ru1.

Minimum System requirement for the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager is as follows:
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager system requirements
Processor
• 32-bit processor: 1-GHz Intel Pentium III or equivalent minimum (Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent recommended)
• 64-bit processor: 2-GHz Pentium 4 with x86-64 support or equivalent minimum

Note: Intel Itanium IA-64 and PowerPC processors are not supported.

Physical RAM
1 GB of RAM for 32-bit operating systems, 2 GB of RAM for 64-bit operating systems, or higher if required by the operating system
Hard drive
4 GB or free space for the server, plus 4 GB for locally installed database
Display
800 x 600
Operating system
• Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit, RTM and SP1; all editions except Home)
• Windows XP Professional (32-bit, SP3 or later; 64-bit, all SPs)
• Windows Server 2003 (32-bit, 64-bit, R2, SP1 or later)
• Windows Small Business Server 2003 (32-bit)
• Windows Server 2008 (32-bit, 64-bit, R2, RTM, SP1, and SP2)
• Windows Small Business Server 2008 (64-bit)
• Windows Essential Business Server 2008 (64-bit)
• Windows Small Business Server 2011 (64-bit)

Note: Clients before version 12.1 can be managed by this version of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, regardless of the client operating system.

Web browser
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 7, 8, or 9
• Mozilla Firefox 3.6 or 4.0
The Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager includes an embedded database, and this is the only choice in Small Business Edition. In the Enterprise version, you may use the embedded database or one of the following versions of Microsoft SQL Server:
SQL Server 2000, SP4 or later
SQL Server 2005, SP2 or later
SQL Server 2008 
SQL Server 2008 R2

Note: If you install the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager and the SQL database on the same computer, a minimum of 4 GB of RAM is recommended.

Symantec Endpoint Protection client, Windows and Macintosh system requirements
Processor
• 32-bit processor for Windows: 1-GHz Intel Pentium III or equivalent minimum (Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent recommended)
• 32-bit processor for Mac: Intel Core Solo, Intel Core Duo
• 64-bit processor for Windows: 2-GHz Pentium 4 with x86-64 support or equivalent minimum. Itanium processors are not supported.
• 64-bit processor for Mac: Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Quad-Core Xeon Processor
Physical RAM
512 MB of RAM, or higher if required by the operating system
Hard drive
Hard disk: 700 MB or more free space
Display
800 x 600
Operating system
• Windows XP Home or Professional (32-bit, SP2 or later; 64-bit, all SPs)
• Windows XP Embedded
• Windows Vista (32-bit, 64-bit)
• Windows 7 (32-bit, 64-bit, RTM and SP1)
• Windows Server 2003 (32-bit, 64-bit, R2, SP1 or later)
• Windows Small Business Server 2003 (32-bit)
• Windows Server 2008 (32-bit, 64-bit, R2, SP1, and SP2)
• Windows Small Business Server 2008 (64-bit)
• Windows Essential Business Server 2008 (64-bit)
• Windows Small Business Server 2011 (64-bit)
• Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6 (32-bit, 64-bit)*
• Mac OS X Server 10.5 or 10.6 (32-bit, 64-bit)*
  *Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" is supported in SEP 12.1 RU1 and newer.
For information about the system requirements for the Symantec AntiVirus client on Linux, see the Symantec AntiVirus for Linux Implementation Guide.

You can handle 11.0.7 clients from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1.

Reference:

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 System Requirements:

Upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.1000 (RU1)

SEP 11.x to SEP 12.1 Upgrade process graphical overview:

What’s new in version 12.1

Compatibility

Downloading a license file

Migration path for SEPM

Release Note for SEP 12.1

How to upgrade your SEP11 license to SEP12 online

I think this is very helpfull for you....

Regard's

Baljeet Singh

Simpson Homer's picture

Taking the backup of a database is very easy, please follow the below given steps:-

Stop the SEPM services 

Go to start all programs and click on database back up and retore option

The back up would start immediately.

SameerU's picture

Hi

You have to uncheck the options

Regards