Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Migrating to 11.0.6a, server crash

Posted Oct 29, 2010 10:53 AM

SBS 2003 SP2, 2 Broadcom NICs, 2 managed Dell switches, 3rd party firewall, web filter - clients all wired XP Pro SP3

I am trying to update SEPM from 11.0.4000.2295 to 11.0.6005.562.  The migrate went perfectly after following the instructions (I backed up the database, stopped the service, updated, restarted)

I then moved a few clients to a new group and migrated them to SEP 11.0.6005.562, worked great.

I rebooted the server and during the "Applying Network Connections..." I got the message "A service or device failed during system starteup" followed by a blue screen and memory dump with a quick screen that flashed something about "Driver_not_IRQL_Less_than_equal".  The oly way to get logged in was to disconnect the cables from the two NICs, SBS started but as soon as I plugged in either cable the server would crash again with the memory dump.

I uninstalled SEPM 11.0.6005 and reinstalled 11.0.4000, restored the database (and a couple other tricks to get past SEPM login and to get clients to reconnect) and I am now back to square one.

I would like to get us to the latest version, what should my next step be?  Did I miss something in this migrate?  Should I do a clean install of the new version?

• 2.  RE: Migrating to 11.0.6a, server crash

Posted Oct 29, 2010 11:08 AM

On your server do not install Network threat protection; install only antivirus and antispyware.

other steps you followed are correct; but remote NTP and PTP

• 3.  RE: Migrating to 11.0.6a, server crash

Posted Oct 30, 2010 09:58 AM

Since I'm installing this over 11.0.4 and I already have AV and NTP installed on the server, am I able to change this when I update SEP on the server? or do I need to unistall the previous version first?

• 4.  RE: Migrating to 11.0.6a, server crash

Posted Oct 30, 2010 11:01 AM

first upgrade your sepm to 11.0.6

you can go to add/remove programs

select SEP ; select modify

remove PTP and NTP ; complete the install....

you can then create package and install it on this box

or else use autoupgrade feature

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH96789&locale=en_US

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH90936&locale=en_US

• 5.  RE: Migrating to 11.0.6a, server crash

Posted Nov 03, 2010 10:21 AM

I tried upgrading SEPM to 11.0.6 again and got  couple errors about not being able to stop the database service, the install failed.

The reason for the upgrade is that we are having random network disconnects on our LAN that I have narrowed down to running NTP on our server on 11.0.4 which I see from Googling that there are others with the same problem.  My hopes are that the upgrade would eliminate the disconnects.

I'm now pondering the possibility of just running SEP on our 20+- clients in unmanaged mode - to keep SEP off the server and to free up a ton of load off our server by not running SEPM.  I don't have much confidence in upgrading to 11.0.6, assuming I could actually get it to work again.

• 6.  RE: Migrating to 11.0.6a, server crash

Posted Nov 04, 2010 02:46 AM

Try to upgrade SEPM after stopping SEPM and it,s DB service manually..