Video Screencast Help

Migrating CMDB from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008.

Created: 08 Oct 2013 • Updated: 21 Oct 2013 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

In preparation for updating to Symantec Endpoint Management 7.5 I am going to move my database from a SQL 2005 server to a SQL 2008 server.  However, in true Symantec tradition, I can't find any helpful documentation relating to this procedure.  Is there anyone out there who has performed this migration or who can point me to some useful resources? 

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

jfolzman's picture

Nearly is good, but what are the details that are different?  I'm not moving from 2005 to 2005.  I've come across that bit of information numerous times.

md investigate's picture

Hi,

you are right. I didn't a search for such a article or how to. But in short: install the sql 2008 with the same collation as the sql 2005 has. Take a backup of the database in sql 2005 and import this into 2008. Create new maintenance plans and attach the database to notification server as described in many articles and threads. I already did it this way. The only thing I didn't mind was the collation, so I had to change it afterwards with a trick.

This scenario is not a special todo for symantec products --> keep your eyes towards microsoft. For the database itself there is nothing to take care of. Right, the collation is very important.

Maybe you can give me a hint what exactly you are searching for?

Regards

jpellet2's picture

I actually just did this moving NS 7.5 from 2008 to 2012 and so far it works like a charm. I would say that I did option B at the end of simply changing the values in the registry and the config file rather than doing it through the console, it was fast and easy.

jfolzman's picture

Followed the last link, and went with option B as well.  Worked perfectly.