Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

Migrating from EV 10.0.1 to a new instance on 10.0.4

Created: 25 Apr 2014 • Updated: 20 May 2014 | 3 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi

We have EV 10.0.1 installed on a Windows 2008 R2 (x64) server with the DB size 2TB.

We plan to build a new server and migrate form EV 10.0.1 to 10.0.4 on the new server. The reason for this is that the current server is old and has been upgraded previously. We also would like to cut down the size of the emails stored in the DB and only keep the last 5 years of emails.

Any advice on how to go about doing this task would be appreciated.

Regards

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

TonySterling's picture

You can do it the manual way by upgrade to EV 10.0.4 on the existing and then move to a new server or install EV 10.0.1 on the new server, migrate and then upgrade:

How to move Enterprise Vault to a new server

Article:TECH55377  |  Created: 2010-01-24  |  Updated: 2014-04-08  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55377

This won't help your storage so you would need to turn on Expiry.

You can also use the EV SSM

Enterprise Vault Server Settings Migration wizard

Article:HOWTO42445  |  Created: 2011-02-24  |  Updated: 2013-05-15  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42445

Again, doesn't help with old data, you just need to run expiry.

Or look at a third part tool like our Archive Shuttle, but that might be a bit of overkill. 

SOLUTION
Clayton J's picture

Thanks Tony for the reply but the real need is to reduce the size of the EV database.

Won't it be possible to split the DB in 2..........mails 5 years and older and mails 5 years and less?

Please advise further.

Regards

TonySterling's picture

I guess I don't understand your use case.  Are you saying you would want the users to have two archives?  I would not recommend that at all.  You could consider splitting you users across two EV servers.  How many Exchange Servers do you have?