Video Screencast Help

Migrating from Lotus Notes to Office 365 - EV Archive Migration

Created: 20 Dec 2013 • Updated: 30 Dec 2013 | 5 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.
Hello All,

I have a question about the Archive Migration from Lotus Notes to O365 and EV.cloud. We have a customer how wants to migrate from Lotus Notes to Office 365. In the past the customer used Enterprise Vault on-premise for archiving Lotus Notes Mails.

This means all archived Lotus Notes Mail Data have also to be migrated to take care that the user could access their archived mails from Office 365.

A possible Solution would be to use Symantec EV.cloud for archiving and migrating the Lotus Notes archives to the EV.cloud.
I found as solution the Symantec Tool "Enterprise Vault.cloud Archive Migrator" for moving the on-premise EV Archives to the EV.cloud.

For my understanding the tool exports the archived mail Content from EV onprem to a file Location (NSF- or pst- files), matches AD-Account and Archive and moves the data to the EV.cloud.

Now my question : When I move from Notes to Office 365 I will use the Outlook Mail Format, and I think I could not use Notes-archived Content. Do I have to convert the Notes archives to Exchange archives ? I heard from the Tool EVDominoExchangeMigration.exe.

Or could the Archive Migrator also convert the archives from Notes to Outlook archives during the Migration the data to the EV.cloud ?
Operating Systems:

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Paul Honey's picture

Hi,

If you use the EV.Cloud migrator, then, No, you will not have to convert the content. All mail content in EV.Cloud is maintained in Outlook compatible format

The EV to EV.Cloud migrator will export the EV Domino archives to NSF, ship them to EV.Cloud and then EV.Cloud uses a third party migration product called Transend to convert the content on ingestion into the EV.Cloud archives

Regards

Paul

Paul Honey | Enterprise Vault Engineering | Customer Focus Team (CFT) | Symantec Corporation | www.symantec.com

SOLUTION
MarkusMailAdmin's picture

Hello Paul,

thanks for your clarification ! But I have another small question, do you know how the exported archives are shipped to the EV.cloud ? Is there a default Migration path like file upload via FTP or physical Harddrive shippment ?

What is the best or preferred solution to move the archives into the EV.cloud ?

Many thanks, and best wishes

Markus

Paul Honey's picture

Markus

It is physical shipment

I believe that online / automated methods of transfer were considered and scoped during the development of this solution but ultimately deemed ineffective when considering the volumes of data that will require transferring in most use cases

Regards

Paul

Paul Honey | Enterprise Vault Engineering | Customer Focus Team (CFT) | Symantec Corporation | www.symantec.com

Paul Honey's picture

Also, just for future reference, the Enterprise Vault EVDominoExchangeMigration tool modifies shortcuts in Exchange Server mailboxes that have been migrated from Domino to Exchange Server. So its role is basically to support traditional on premise mailbox migrations from Domino to Exchange using either Binary Tree or Quest's third party migration products. The utility post-processes migrated users' archives and Exchange mailboxes after Binary Tree or Quest have done their work to ensure users can still access the archived Domino data in its Domino archive from shortcuts migrated to Exchange. Enterprise Vault works around the need for Outlook to access Domino archived data by presenting to Outlook the HTML version of the email that was also stored during original archivign from Domino

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO37488

So, with either EV or EV.Cloud Symantec offers two different but equally powerful solutions to support mailbox migration scenarios, depending on customer needs

Regards

Paul

Grace Lilly's picture

If you are looking for some product that can migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365 with simplicity, accuracy & speed then Mail Migration Office 365 seems to be really effective. It facilitates to directly migrate Lotus Notes NSF files, Domino archives and Live Domino Mailboxes to Office 365 in bulk. Additionally, you are not required to perform any format conversions and no need to configure system. For exporting NSF files there is no need to set up Domino server.

get overview: http://www.export-notes.com/lotus-domino-to-office365.html