Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

migrating from ntbackup to BE 2010

Created: 02 Mar 2013 • Updated: 04 Mar 2013 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I'm in process of migrating from  NtBackup to BE 2010. The OS is Win2003 SP2.The ntbackup stops recognize the tape library [Tandberg Storage Library t24 LTO-4 HH FC] after creating the 101st pool,deleting an pool results in restoration of it's ntbackup functionality.I didn't find any info about this unexpected limitation/problem.Anyway.

So  I'm migrating to BE2010. I have 100 subpools in removable storage ntbackup's pool with 105 tapes[media] in them.The data is more archive instead a traditional backup - very large video files.

The question is :

Is there any way to import ntbackup catalog files [.V01] in BE or some other "gently" method to transfer the catalog from Ntbackup to BE?

Right now I'm cataloging in BE and it takes few hours per tape,looks like the whole tape needs to be read..and I have hundred + of themangry

EDIT : "Use storage media-based catalog" option is checked !

Thank in advance.

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

If this was B2D then BE would be able to read the *.bkf files into the catalog. With tape it is done exactly as you are doing it...you have to catalog every tape unfortunately...no way around this!

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
dedobot's picture

Thanks for the reply CraigV !

Interesting situation with the tapes which was part of  same ntbackup's pool.First tape of the pool is readed byte by byte but next tapes are cataloged  for 10-15 minutes,using on-tape catalog. Too bad that only few of my tapes are organazed in this way.

The log:

"fast" catalog operation:
Job Operation - Catalog 
Loading media-based catalog set list from the storage media.
Loading media-based catalog set contents from the storage media.

"slow" catalog operation:
Job Operation - Catalog 
Loading media-based catalog set list from the storage media.
An error was encountered while attempting to read the Media Based Catalog's Set Map data.
Attempting to catalog the media by reading the data area of each backup set.