Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Migrating a Production NS 7 server sql database 2008 to a UAT server for testing

• 1.  Migrating a Production NS 7 server sql database 2008 to a UAT server for testing

Posted Mar 04, 2011 11:47 AM

I am in the process of setting up a training server and would like to move my production database to UAT for the training session.  I have not installed NS yet in UAT.  What I would like to do is take a backup of prodution move it and configure it in UAT so I have all the production data but not connected to production agents.  Does someone have a kb or direstions on how to do this? 

I would also like to repeat this quarterly for QA testing reasons to but I do not wnat to rebuild the application each time just update the database.  Any "How too's" on either of these topics?  thanks

I have NS 7 Servicedesk 7 sp3 (I only want to move the NS right now).

• 2.  RE: Migrating a Production NS 7 server sql database 2008 to a UAT server for testing

Posted Mar 04, 2011 12:34 PM

HOWTO9763

is the most complete, but a little verbose for what you want to do. Basically, you would need to stop SQL, make a copy, and move it over to the new system. You could do a brand new setup and point it to the existing database.

I've never applied a backup of one database to a completely different database, but the procedure would be easier. Just copy the .bak file over and see if you can restore it.

I would expect lots of errors, with missing file errors, dependency checks (if you're test server isn't exactly the same as your prod). Additonally the data is 'dead' meaning with no active client updates, but if that is what you are seeking to to, this should work for you.