Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Migrating + updating SEP SBE 12.0 to 12.1

Posted Aug 07, 2014 04:03 AM

Hi,

Due to disk space problems concerning Endpoint protection definitions and problems with the Mail security definitions, we are forced to upgrade our SEP SBE from 12.0 to 12.1.

We found this to be the only solution after reading multiple threads where they say: "if setting the amount of revisions for the endpoint protection to 5, does not help making more free space, all other time spent is wasted, just upgrade to 12.1, since that interfance has more functions".

Situation:

SERVER A - Symantec endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12.0.1001.95

Server usage: ERP/Backup Exec 2010 R3/FAX/...

SERVER B - Symantec Mail Security 6.5.0.67

Server usage: Exchange 2010

The most simple thing would be to upgrade the SEP SBE on Server 1 from 12.0 to 12.1.

Unfortunately that is not possible since there is not any free disk space. (c:\ = 8 GB :s)

So we're just going to install/migrate/update it on another server: SERVER C.

This server DOES NOT have the same IP/hostname.

Now what is the correct procedure for this?

I assume:

1. Migrate to SERVER C
    2. Upgrade 12.0 to 12.1

I've read some articles about migrating, but most articles are guides for migration 12.1.

The ones I can find about migrating 12.0 are guides for migrating 12.0 to a server which has the SAME IP/hostname.

So my questions are:

1. How do I backup/export config/database/... from 12.0 with the limited interface it has.
    2. How do I restore/import/... on the new server, to 12.0, where the new server has a different IP/hostname
    3. I assume i can then find a guide from upgrading from 12.0 to 12.1
    4. What about the clients?
      I've tought about doing a whole fresh install, but that would probably force me to reinstall all the clients (+- 60)
      I hope by following the above steps (Migrate to other server & then upgrade), that it then would not be necessary to reinstall the clients.
    1. How will the Symantec Mail Security (SERVER B) react on migrating SEP SBE from SERVER A to SERVER C?

What are the procedures to update this software? Since it's attached to the SEP SBE.
    If I enter license keys in the SEP SBE, they're also applied in the Symantec Mail Security, so I guess the Mail Security is kind of dependant of SEP SBE?
    The Mail Security also has to be upgraded from 6.5.0.67 to 7.5.0.56

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Migrating + updating SEP SBE 12.0 to 12.1

Posted Aug 07, 2014 11:02 AM

60 clients is quite small, would just be easy to install SEP enterprise on a new box and replace the sylink on the clients using the SEPM.

Restoring client-server communications with Communication Update Package Deployment

• 3.  RE: Migrating + updating SEP SBE 12.0 to 12.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 08, 2014 08:48 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Symantec community.

I would be glad to answer your queries.

Migration from one server to another server with the help of replication or failover/loadbalancing is not possible in SBE.

Q. How do I backup/export config/database/... from 12.0 with the limited interface it has.

1. How do I restore/import/... on the new server, to 12.0, where the new server has a different IP/hostname
    2. I assume i can then find a guide from upgrading from 12.0 to 12

Ans: This article will be of your interest: How to move Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition (SEPM SBE) from one machine to another

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183666

Q. What about the clients?

I've tought about doing a whole fresh install, but that would probably force me to reinstall all the clients (+- 60)
    I hope by following the above steps (Migrate to other server & then upgrade), that it then would not be necessary to reinstall the clients.

Ans: Reinstall of SBE 12.0 clients is not required in any case. Just need to push the latest package on the existing clients. Make sure all the clients are on the LAN because auto upgrade takes place automatically in SBE though you can disable it manually.

Q. How will the Symantec Mail Security (SERVER B) react on migrating SEP SBE from SERVER A to SERVER C?

Ans: SEPM SBE has no relation with Symantec Mail Security. They shouldn't interefer with each other.

Q. What are the procedures to update this software? Since it's attached to the SEP SBE.
    If I enter license keys in the SEP SBE, they're also applied in the Symantec Mail Security, so I guess the Mail Security is kind of dependant of SEP SBE?

Ans: SEP SBE is not dependent on mail security. Write an email to Symantec license department to find more info on it.

You can send an email at license@symantec.com

Phone number: 1-800-721-3934
    Email: license@symantec.com

Contact Us

http://www.symantec.com/partners/support/contact-us.jsp

• 4.  RE: Migrating + updating SEP SBE 12.0 to 12.1
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 12, 2014 06:54 AM

What we eventually ended up doing:

1. We didn't touch the orignal install on server A
    2. We installed SEP 12.1.4 on server C en just let it rebuild everything.
      We added the clients, pushed the communication package and everything worked
    3. Then we wanted to upgrade the Symantec Mail Security, the setup detected the older 6.5 version, but the upgrade failed. All of the sudden (without warning, wtf?) the exchange server rebooted.
      Setup did not continue afterwards.
    4. Ran the setup again, then the transport service of exchange didn't want to start, it was still looking for the 6.5 folder instead of the 7.5.
    5. Windows logs showed that it had an error writing in the 7.5 folder.
    6. Changed the permissions on the symantec folder for the Mail security service account
    7. Ran the setup again, and worked. Bevause of the failed upgrade we have to manually create all the policies again tho :(

A shame that the setup did not mention that the service account needed admin rights on the Symantec folder.

When creating the service account, the setup tells you that the account should not get domain admin permissions, why doens't it say that you should give it admin permissions on the symantec folder?

Anyway, problem solved.
    We'll let the old version of SEP still run for a week and then uninstall it.

PS: for activating the Mail Security license, I just imported the license from SEP and that worked...

• 5.  RE: Migrating + updating SEP SBE 12.0 to 12.1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 12, 2014 08:51 AM

Sad to hear your experience about Symantec Mail Security upgrade. I wish I could have helped more but I am not trained on Mail Security.