Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Migration from 11.0.6300.803 to 12.1 EE

Created: 26 Sep 2012 | 12 comments

I am very frustrated.  Please help!

As you can tell frmo the title, I am migrating to a new version.

SEP is physically moving from one server to another.  IP and hostname are different.

I was told to use the replication method.  It is not working.

I can see the new server appear as a replication partner on the old server, but it never completes.

I am follwoing the instructions here --> http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH104389

I am getting stuck here:

I am doing this from the NEW server, running the config wizard, setting up the replication partner...

In the Database Server Choice panel, do one of the following, and then click Next:
Check Embedded database or Microsoft SQL server (whichever database type you'd prefer to install), then complete the installation.

It connects, builds the db, it gorws to about 290 MB and just hangs.

again, I can see my new server appear as a replication partner, and a remote site...but they do not finish replicating. 

One thing I noitced is that on the old server, under remote sites, its IP is totally wrong, and I have no idea where it is comming from....both machines have a static IP, and the DNS entries are correct....  its pulliong some address from our DHCP pool, and I have no idea how that is happening....  I have looked at log files, and no useful information that I can find...  can someone point me in the right direction to start troubleshooting?  I am sure its a config issue somehwere, hard to narrow down seeing as communication between the 2 is working (Kinda)

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

Ashish-Sharma's picture

Check this Comments

Chetan Savade

if the new SEPM server has a different IP and host name, there are two alternatives:

1. Use replication to install a new SEPM and keep the policy the same with old SEPM. See "How to move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager from one machine to another" 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH104389

Note: Replication is an option, but its better not to go for that. Because if you do replication and remove the old server that is the Primary SEPM , in future if you want to do replication you will not be able to do so.

2. Install a new SEPM, then use the Sylink file to establish communication between the new SEPM and the existing SEP client through sylink replacer tool. You can import SEP 11 policies into SEP 12.1

Note : Sylink replacer tool is most commonly used option because it's easy to use.

Link for more information :

How to move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1 from one machine to another

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH171767

Check this thread

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/new-server-same-ip-address-different-name

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

.Brian's picture

How to move Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1 from one machine to another

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

SlitterAdmin's picture

Ashish, thank you for your reply.

I am confused by something - 

"2. Install a new SEPM, then use the Sylink file to establish communication between the new SEPM and the existing SEP client through sylink replacer tool. You can import SEP 11 policies into SEP 12.1"

When comm. is established from new SEPM to existing SEP client, do you mean existing server?

Let me reitterate, I have SEPM 11 running on an old 2k3 server. 

We have a new server, win2k8 R2 x64 that we would like to run 12.1 EE on.

We are trying to migrate to the new server - it will have different name and IP.

The links you sent talk about moving 12.1 to 12.1.

I like option 2.  So Basically, I need to install 12.1 on the new server, and use the sylink replacer tool?

.Brian's picture

Yes, you can than use sylinkreplacer to replace sylink from neww SEPM on each of the clients.

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Ashish-Sharma's picture

Means You will install New SEPM server and all old sep client move To new Server with the help of syslinkreplacer tool.

Thanks In Advance

Ashish Sharma

SlitterAdmin's picture

OK, and does the db essentially get rebuilt as this happens?  I was trying to move the existing db over...  sounds like I don't have to?

So, let me make sure I fully understand.

1. Install SEPM 11 (same version as existing) to new server, only instead of selecting "Install an additional SIte" in the config wizard, I would select "Install my first site"

2. Proceed with the rest of setup, create db etc.

3. Run sylinkreplacer?

can it really be that simple?

Can/should this be done during production?  This should be quick right?  we only have 126 hosts at the moment. 

SlitterAdmin's picture

OK, I read the PDF, this looks like the way to go.  Thank you.

.Brian's picture

You can install 12.1 on the new server.

New DB will be created.

Run sylinkreplacer on existing clients to get them on 12.1 server.

Yes, for 126 clients that should be quick.

SlitterAdmin's picture

So, you are saying I can run SEPM at 12.1, and the clients will still work even though they are on ther old version?  I went ahead and installed the same version on the new server, then exported client settings to get my new sylink.xml file, and did a test on my machine by replacing my old sylink with the new one, restarted all services, and viola...!  My machine appears in the new servers console.

I was going to move the rest of our clients over, and then upgrade to SEPM 12.1 on server, and PUSH the client out to the rest of the network,.,

.Brian's picture

Yes, 11.x clients can be managed by 12.1.

But since you're already moving along, you may as well finish that way yes

SlitterAdmin's picture

Thank you Brian.

Do you know if there is a way to add the old DB to the new one, I have the PW for the DB...

I was originally going to follow the DR method, but I do not know what the encryption PW is on the existing server, that is why I was trying to do the replication method, and was then pointed to doing a fresh install.

I would like to keep on using the original db, as is has infection histories, and other historical data...

.Brian's picture

It's not possible to merge the DBs.

You would need to keep the old one up if you need to access older logs.