File Share Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Migration from PGP to Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0

Posted Oct 27, 2014 02:51 PM

Hello,

We are currently running PGP Universal server 3.3.1 with clients at 10.3.1 and would like to migrate to the Endpoint Encryption 11. Is there a migration process on how to do this? I have not seen any docs and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information in the forums either. My concerns are we are going from PGPU, which I am assuming uses a version of Linux SQL to MS SQL, how do we keep the client information or would this be a new deployment scendario? 

• 2.  RE: Migration from PGP to Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0

Posted Oct 27, 2014 03:17 PM

At this time there is no migration path for SEE v11 from Symantec Encryption Management Server.  It is only for drive encryption as well, so if you are using any other features of the SEMS, they would not be available in the new product.

It is a common misconception which I believe is based upon using too similar of a naming scheme, but SEE v11 is not the next iteration of Symantec Encryption Management Server/Symantec Encryption Desktop.  It is a drive-encryption-based combination of our Endpoint Encryption and Drive Encryption (PGP) softwares, basically combining the best features from each drive encryption product into a single product.

In short, you would need to be using whole disk encryption only, and be willing to decrypt any existing systems, uninstall the current PGP product, install and configure a management server for SEE v11, generate and deploy new client packages, and encrypt the systems again.

• 3.  RE: Migration from PGP to Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0

Posted Oct 27, 2014 03:26 PM

Thanks for the reply... We only use the whole disk encryption piece of PGP so if SEE 11 does that and does it as well as PGP then it would not be a problem. So it looks like it would be a new deployment, which would include decrypting and uninstaling 10.3.1 to install from SEE 11?

• 4.  RE: Migration from PGP to Symantec Endpoint Encryption 11.0

Posted Oct 27, 2014 03:32 PM

That is correct.  If you want to follow through on that process, you can find the SEE v11 documentation here:
    http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&key=55414&channel=DOCUMENTATION