Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Minimum permission in vCenter 5 to restore VM by using Backup Exec 2012

Created: 07 Jan 2013 | 5 comments

I  create user account in vCenter server to assign permission by refering the following KB.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Backup VM successfully without any error.

When restore VM from backup to vCenter using Backup Exec 2012 but the task of restore VM operation still failed.

The error is as below:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0009585 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38277

Any permision missed?

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

Colin Weaver's picture

make sure user access control is disabled on the media server itself as that can stop VMware restores.

Also test to confirm if the restore works using full admin permissions (so not following the referenced document) as you may have a problem that has nothing to do with the pesmissions changes.

Solution4all's picture

Hi,
Please try to restore vm directly to Esx using root account.
thanks

steven_man's picture

I can restore VM successfully by using windows account "administrator" in vCenter and assign administrator role to this account in vCenter 5.

I created another Windows account with local admin right in vCenter server. And disable UAC and assign Windows user account with permission mentioned in above KB  but restore still failed?

Can I restore VM to vCenter without uisng ESX root account and vCenter administrator account with administratol role?

steven_man's picture

I found the cause.

The KB do not mention the following permission

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Virtual machine > Provisioning

• Allow disk access

After assigned the additional permission above, the restore operation can be successfully now.

Colin Weaver's picture

Hmm does anyone know if that is a new vCenter 5.x security permission or did it exist in 4.x (sorry I have a 5.0 vCenter that I can check but don't have acces to a 4.x)

Note : I have asked this question internally as well, just covering all bases by asking the community.

EDIT: Got the answer internally, the TECH article has been amended to reflect this (in the restore section)