Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Monitor an AS/400 System

Created: 25 May 2012 | 2 comments
Coolio2's picture

Has somebody a solution how to Monitor (Hardware/Software) an AS/400 System with the Monitor Solution 7.1?

The SNMP is not an option. Maybe with 3th part tools?

Thanks for any inputs

Kind Regards

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

donp213's picture

While we have yet to put anything in production, during our POC of Monitor Solution, we did a few "SNMP Get(s)" to monitor CPU and Memory utilization on a per LPAR basis.  So you can certainly expand on this approach.  There should be quite a bit you can get out of SNMP Gets.  

Trap receiving is a different story though.  We found, even with the correct MIBs loaded, we could rarely interpret the traps.

Another approach we are working on is "Remote Command".  This is a utility included in the connectivity tools for the AS/400 on Windows.  It allows you to run various commands within the AS/400 and return those results to your command window.  This is where we want to end up, but simply have not had the time.

Right now, we run a few scripts within the AS/400 to monitor for error states.  We want to continue to use those, but run them perhaps from "Remote Command"; or you can even use ODBC.

Coolio2's picture

Hi donp213

Thanks for your answer. I have some question to your reply:

- Are you able to do monitor the Hardware also?
- What do you mean with ODBC?

Is possible, that you can send me some PrintScreen how it would look like, so that I can show this to my customer?