Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Move to SEP 12.1 - Upgrade or New Install?

Created: 11 Sep 2012 • Updated: 13 Sep 2012 | 12 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Looking for help. We are moving to all Windows 7 machines and our current install of SEP (RU6a) is not compatible. I am interested in hearing how others have migrated, whether you upgraded the current install or completed a side-by-side and migrated clients only. Thanks.

Comments 12 CommentsJump to latest comment

pete_4u2002's picture

upgrade the SEPM and then upgradethe clients.

Upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.1101 (RU1 MP1)
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187753

would also like to hear what is not compatible?

Berratus's picture

Thank you for the link. I am always concerned about doing an in-place upgrade in case something goes horribly wrong and then having to spend time fixing the issues generated. The idea of going side-by-side is that any new build of a workstation would only get the 12.1 client and all of the machines on the floor would remain at the current version. Each machine is scheduled to be reimaged in the near future so all of them would receive the latest version sometime soon.

We have run into an issue with Office 2010 users trying to save documents to a network location that was resolved by going to the latest client. Also, managing the USB devices is not supported on Windows 7 64-bit with our version of SEP.

pete_4u2002's picture

yeah, SEP install is Side by Side i.e. new folder of SEP 12 is created after installed. It will be active only after reboot till that time SEP 11 client will work.

yes SEp 12. clients support ADC on 64 bit machines.

sandra.g's picture

You can test the installation on a few select machines (existing ones, not the new Windows 7 boxes) and monitor for issues, then do the in-place upgrade. If you choose to upgrade the clients only, an 11.x version of SEPM can't manage 12.1.x clients, though it can manage later versions of 11.x.

sandra

Symantec, Senior Information Developer
Enterprise Security, Mobility, and Management - Endpoint Protection

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'solved' with the answer that best helps you!

AravindKM's picture

11.0.x SEPM can't manage 12.1 clients.

But 12.1 SEPM can manage 11.0.x clients.

So first upgrade your SEPM, then side-by-side you can upgrade your clients.

Upgrading or migrating to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1

Please don't forget to mark your thread solved with whatever answer helped you : ) Thanks & Regards Aravind

Berratus's picture

So far the consensus is to upgrade the SEPM, but I'm not sure if I stated correctly what I was thinking about. When I said side-by-side, what I meant was to stand up an entirely new SEPM with the latest version. We would then have two SEPMs running: one for the older clients and one for the newer clients. Is this something anyone else has tried?

Beppe's picture

Hello,

I don't see any advantage in having two managers, 11.0 and 12.1 handling clients separately, having more admin tasks, etc.

Much better to migrate your SEPM 11 to 12.1 and handle all clients from a single point.

Regards,

Giuseppe

sandra.g's picture

I think he means in more of a temporary manner, like a test environment, rather than a permanent solution.

I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

sandra

Symantec, Senior Information Developer
Enterprise Security, Mobility, and Management - Endpoint Protection

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'solved' with the answer that best helps you!

pete_4u2002's picture

yes, move teh SEP clients to new SEPM 12.1x version and then upgrade using the client deployment wizard

SMLatCST's picture

My 2 pence worth smiley

Inplace upgrade:
This is the simpler/easier of the two options.  As your concern is with recovery of the SEPM should it go wrong, it's worth noting that the recovery of a single SEPM can usually be performed within a few hours by following the DR procedures (depending on the complexity of your environment).

Side-by-Side:
I take this to mean you want a completely separate SEP12.1 site, which will only manage the newly reimaged machines.  Easy enough to do, but it does mean you'll have to go through the process of migrating your policies across to the new server, or recreating them.  This is usually only used when there are serious concerns over the stability of the old SEPM.  Obviously, it also means you'll be using two separate servers to manage your SEP estate until all the clients have been reimaged (so increased administrative overhead in the interim).

I'm with the earlier posts, in that the inplace upgrade is the recommended route (as it's simpler).  I'm afraid only you can make the call on if the side-by-side install is worth the added effort.

SOLUTION
Berratus's picture

Thank you! That's the information I am looking for. If we were to do a side-by-side and we wanted to change management servers for the existing 11.x clients, how would we do that?

SMLatCST's picture

The easiest options for moving existing clients from one SEPM to the other in your side--by-side use case would be either using sylinkdrop or sylinkreplacer.

My personal preference is to use SyLinkDrop as I've always found it more reliable:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55428

SyLinkReplacer on the otherhand is usually more convenient, but needs to be manually run and connects across the network (so needs ports to be open and the like):

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105211
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH186661

I'm glad I was of some help before, and hope you find these useful.  As always, it'd be appreciated if you could mark any posts you find helpful with a "Thumbs Up" or as the Solution wink