Move SEPM database from SQL 2005 SP3 to SQL 2012?
Has anyone moved their SEPM 12.x SQL Server database from one server or version to another successfully? Can I just have our DBA copy it from a SQL 2005 SP3 server to a SQL 2012 server? I found out that SEP 12.1.2015.2015 (RU2) requires a backend SQL of 2008 or higher. Before upgrading from SEP 12.1.1000.157 (RU1) to SEP 12.1.2015.2015 (RU2) I think I want to move the SEPM SQL database from 2005 SP3 to SQL 2012 first.
I've been reading through multiple docs but I wanted to ask for some clear advice on this upgrade procedure. Would these steps work? If not what should be changed?
- Backup the SEPM database via SEPM console.
- Stop the SEPM service. (I don't have replication.)
- Have my DBA copy the SEPM database from SQL 2005 SP3 to SQL 2012. I think I can keep the same database name.
- At this point I presume a SQL username has to be created on 2012 that will access the copied SEPM database. I think I should be able to use the same one that existed on SQL 2005 SP3.
- On the existing SEPM RU1 server, run the Management Server Configuration Wizard and point to the new SQL 2012 database.
- At this point, do I have to somehow tell the clients that there's a new SQL database and it has moved? Or is it enough that the SEPM console knows it's been moved?
- Now I think I'm ready to upgrade the SEPM console from RU1 to RU2 (install over-the-top). And then upgrade the clients from RU1 to RU2.
Will simply having my DBA "copy" the SQL database work? Will I have to run the sylink updater for anything?
Thanks much, Tom.