Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Migration User

Migration UserNov 02, 2012 05:43 AM

Chetan Savade

Chetan SavadeNov 02, 2012 08:41 AM

Migration User

Migration UserNov 02, 2012 08:48 AM

Chetan Savade

Chetan SavadeNov 04, 2012 03:18 AM

Migration User

Migration UserNov 05, 2012 12:19 AM

Migration User

Migration UserNov 05, 2012 03:55 AM

Migration User

Migration UserNov 05, 2012 07:05 AM

• 1.  Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 02:19 AM

Hi all

we have installed SEPM 11.0.6 installed in our environment and is working fine. now the issue is we are about to change the IP scheme of our network that is we are moving on another network. so we want to move the clients from that network to the new network. is there a way that we can move it without uninstalling and reinstalling the client on each machine ? (as uninstalling and reinstalling SEP on 150 machine is not an easy job)...

help will be really appriciated 

regards

• 2.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 02:25 AM

Well, you could use the sylink replacer and have the sylinks replaced on them once the network change is done.

• 3.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 02:28 AM

does it also change the network? i have used it but it was on the same network . plus it also perform the network sweep so if i have changed the network then how would it find the clients?

• 4.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2012 02:34 AM

Hi,

Sylink replacer should do your job.

However it's important to know while shifting from one network to another network what changes are you going to do on SEPM machine.

SEPM domain name, SEPM hostname & IP address, VLAN changes ?

Because in that case you might have to reinstall SEPM.

Update this thread with more details to provide possible solution.

• 5.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 02:51 AM

yes the domain is also changed with the IP address and subnet scheme .

no VLAN is required .

Also further more i have to say that . on one SEPM machine i have changed the domain i.e joined it with the new domain and then run the old SEPM and it opens and showed all the clients but non active and on the other network. 

i uninstall and reinstall the same client packages that was created when i was on the old network and it installed and updated and showed online.

• 6.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2012 02:52 AM

Hi,

After rejoining SEPM in new domain, try to replace sylink.xml file on 2-3 clients & check the status?

If clients started communication with SEPM then you can go ahead & replace sylink.xml on all the clients.

As per your comment "i uninstall and reinstall the same client packages that was created when i was on the old network and it installed and updated and showed online." - It's difficult to tell how it's working without looking at sylink.xml and logs.

• 7.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 02:57 AM

ok i am trying this but chetan just for the knowledge. doesnt sylink replacer use ping sweep to find the clients? in that case how would it find the clients as the network is changed?

• 8.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 02, 2012 02:59 AM

HI,

Check this thread...

Changing domain membership of the SEPM server

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/changing-domain-membership-sepm-server

• 9.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2012 03:16 AM

Hi,

As you said there is no VLAN changes & as long as clients are receiving arp request it should find the clients.

• 10.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 03:36 AM

yes there is no VLAN but the old network was of 10.32.0.0/24 and the new is of 172.30.0.0/16

• 11.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 04:06 AM

old network was of 10.32.0.0/24 and the new is of 172.30.0.0/16

• 12.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2012 04:54 AM

Hi,

These are completely two different classes but still it's possible to receive arp request success.

• 13.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 05:43 AM

ok i m replacing sylink.xml using sylink drop

• 14.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 05:47 AM

hi,

you can use syslink replace tool.

The Sylinkreplacer tool for connecting SEP clients to a SEPM

http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/sylinkreplacer-tool-connecting-sep-clients-sepm

• 15.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 07:46 AM

ok guyz i have re joinged the clients with the new domain and run the sylinkdrop and it is replacing and joing the clients so far means 90 % its working . but the problm is its not working on win 7 clients

running on win 7 gives error "could not stop smc"

any ideas?

• 16.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2012 08:08 AM

Hi,

It's good to know that it's working.

For Windows 7 clients have you disabled UAC? Have you set any password to stop the service?

• 17.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 08:31 AM

no there is no such pasword placed for stoping service. when i type in run "smc -stop" the service does stop but on the sylinkdrop it showed that error

• 18.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2012 08:41 AM

What about User Access Control (UAC)?

• 19.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 02, 2012 08:48 AM

it is set to default

• 20.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2012 03:18 AM

Can you try by disabling it?

• 21.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 05, 2012 12:19 AM

Disable UAC and reboot the machine.

• 22.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 05, 2012 01:53 AM

ok guyz wel i have found out that if chnging the network of the SEPM server there will be no issue . as soon as u change the IP Scheme of the server and also change the clients IPs to the Same network of the server both the clients SEP and Server get updated ... 

also sylinkdrop works too

• 23.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 05, 2012 03:55 AM

Awesome, Glad to hear that. :)

• 24.  RE: Moving SEP 11.0.6 Managed clients from one network to the other network (Changing IP Scheme)

Posted Nov 05, 2012 07:05 AM

thnx to all of u guyz :) :)