Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  MS10-015 re-release

Posted Mar 16, 2010 09:50 AM

Does anybody know if the new PMImport updates MS10-015 to include Microsoft's new logic that prevents the security update from being installed on systems if certain abnormal conditions exist??

• 2.  RE: MS10-015 re-release
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 18, 2010 06:17 PM
    Hi Lisa,
    Per Microsoft's KB article for MS10-015:

This is a change to the package installation logic on updates distributed through Windows Update only; there were no changes to the security update binaries or to the Windows Update detection logic. The updates available on the Microsoft Download Center have not changed and do not contain this new package installation logic. Customers who have already successfully updated their systems, including customers with automatic updating enabled, do not need to take any action. Customers with automatic updating enabled, who have not installed this update previously, should consider applying the update at the earliest opportunity.

Since the binaries weren't actually changed apparently, then they aren't on the MS Download Center (where Altiris/Symantec download them from).  The change seems to be Windows Update-specific.

Generally the only time it will be necessary to redeploy/revise a Software Update Task is if the major version number listed in the Microsoft KB article is incremented by 1 (i.e. 1.2 --> 2.0, but not 1.1 --> 1.3).  This is not always the case though; earlier this year MS incremented a bulletin from 1.x to 2.0 even though there were no binary changes.  In this case they added a new OS as vulnerable (Server 2008 I think).  So, you really have to read the bulletin announcements quite carefully, or at a minimum the FAQ section.

There is a tool from MS that you can download and run against your clients to check for infection by this particular rootkit which causes the problem, though from what I've read on the PatchManagement.org mailing list, the rootkit authors have helpfully patched their rootkit to prevent MS10-015 from crashing their nice zombie PC!

• 3.  RE: MS10-015 re-release

Posted Mar 19, 2010 10:18 AM
    Thanks for the information, Kyle. I'm still fairly new to Patch so this is useful information for me! I appreciate the response.

• 4.  RE: MS10-015 re-release

Posted Mar 19, 2010 11:17 AM
    Lisa,
    Glad I could help.  If you wouldn't mind, could you click the "Mark As Solution" on my above post?  This will close out the question.