Patch Management Solution

View Only
  • 1.  MSWU 603 & 661 issues - anyone else

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 15, 2012 01:30 PM

I have a ticket in but am not getting anywhere, win update reports I need both patches.

MSWU 603 is not showing correctly under windows compliance reports.  It's showing as installed for my machines (I have the original patch installed, but V2 came out in October and isn't installed).  Seems like the PMImport file needs to be changed but support hasn't looked at the command line, etc for this one yet.

MSWU 661 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592687 - When I go to patch remediation center and go to all software updates and search for 2592687 - it shows I have that bulletin available but it's in no policies. When I go to win compliance in patch remediation center, it doesn't show MSWU 661. I distributed 661 thinking maybe it would trigger something, but it didn't install, I suppose because patch doesn't think I need it.

Anyone else having trouble with latest MSWU 603 & 661?

• 2.  RE: MSWU 603 & 661 issues - anyone else

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 19, 2012 01:54 AM

Hi Sally5432,

About MSWU-603:
    I have found that earlier the  problem with Windows Update existed when KB2647753 from MSWU-603 was offering to be installed over and over again (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/why-wont-kb-2647753-install/aa599ea3-0bd9-4118-8e26-20d6ac4596ee?page=1&tm=1353057323912). Probably same issue is still reproducible on your machine.  Could you please try to install manually this update on any affected machine and check the result - will it be installed successfully? will it disappear from Windows Update after next checking of required updates?
    If it really will be installed and then not offered by windows update, could you please run Windows System Assessment Scan and attach STPatchAssessment.log & STPatchAssessment.xml from machine where this update is installed(successfully) manually and from machine where mentioned issue(Windows Update offers to install update while Patch management thinks it is installed already) is still reproducible.

About MSWU-661:
    According to Microsoft KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592687, to install the RDP 8.0 update(KB2592687 from MSWU-661), you must have hotfix 2574819 installed. I have checked it on my setup and found that KB2592687 is really detected as applicable to tested machine ONLY when hotfix 2574819 is installed.

Could you please check if KB2574819 is installed on affected machine or not?
    If not please install Hotfix 2574819 included to bulletin MSWU-660 and then check compliance reports once again.
    In case if issue is still reproducible please attach STPatchAssessment.log & STPatchAssessment.xml from affected client.

Note: STPatchAssessment.log & STPatchAssessment.xml are located at "C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Agents\SoftwareManagement\Software Delivery\{6D417916-467C-46A7-A870-6D86D9345B61}\cache\"

Thanks,
    Roman

• 3.  RE: MSWU 603 & 661 issues - anyone else

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 19, 2012 09:16 AM

Thanks for replying, Roman.

I actually had seen that 603 thread before, but assumed it was fixed back in August so didn't pay too much attention. 

If I go to installed updates, it does show as installed, and if I uninstall it and reinstall via download from MS link below and reboot, it still shows as needing to be installed through windows update.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29152

However, if I uninstall and reinstall through windows update, it removes itself properly from the 'needs to be installed' windows update pane.

For 661, I do have 2574819.  I tried to attach the .log file but it won't let me as .log, will rename to .txt.

Attachment(s)

txt
    STPatchAssessment.txt   3.60 MB 1 version
    xml
    STPatchAssessment_1.xml   71 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: MSWU 603 & 661 issues - anyone else

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2012 11:17 AM

Hi Sally5432,

Regarding MSWU-661, firstly thank you for the attached logs.
    According to logs, assessment scan believes that "KB2592687 does not apply under the current configuration but may apply if some option is turned on.", so this update is not shown in the compliance report.
    For me same behaviour was observed if KB2574819 was not installed, but it is not your case - KB2574819 is detected as installed on you setup. I could not reproduce this problem with installed KB2574819.

For MSWU-603,

If I go to installed updates, it does show as installed, and if I uninstall it and reinstall via download from MS link below and reboot, it still shows as needing to be installed through windows update.

It looks like Windows Update problem if update is installed successfully using file provided by Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29152, but it is still detected as required by Windows Update even after reboot.

Thanks,
    Roman

• 5.  RE: MSWU 603 & 661 issues - anyone else

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jan 22, 2013 09:29 AM

661 was fixed late last week via a PMImport for anyone who was looking to deploy it.

• 6.  RE: MSWU 603 & 661 issues - anyone else

Posted Mar 01, 2013 11:56 AM

Sally did you get any additional info on MSWU-603?  I also seeing the same issue.  I noted in your attached logs that is shows kb2647753-v2 as being installed but I'm also confused why Windows Update still lists it.

Its been communicated to me that if certain updates are not installed with Windows Update they will not clear, even when the update has successfully been installed using Patch Solution, I plan on starting a thread with this very question.

Something I noted also Sally is to pay special attention when removing the update, I observed that I had to remove it, reboot, and remove it again before Patch detected it was needed.  Still after patch deployed and installed it successfully Windows Update still listed as needing it.